Educational Effectiveness @ Mānoa
The University of Hawaii at Mānoa offers more than 80 undergraduate degrees, over 80 masters degrees, and over 50 doctorates, including law, medicine, and architecture. It carries out advanced research; and it extends academic services to the community. Its students, currently numbering over 18,000, have special opportunities for Asian, Pacific, and Hawaiian educational experiences and involvement in research, service learning, and co-curricular activities.
Our undergraduate enrollment increases by 5 percent annually.
Our graduate enrollment increases by 15% annually in select programs.
Our undergraduate retention rate increases by 20 percent annually.
Our NSSE (National Survey of Student Engagement) scores surpass peer institutions.
- Deliver a modern, flexible, diverse, and multicultural curriculum supported by excellent teachers, classrooms, and information technology.
- Provide enriching applied educational experiences including freshmen programs, interdisciplinary learning communities, study abroad, and service-learning.
- Expand support for graduate students.
- Increase faculty involvement in advising and mentoring students.
- Facilitate timely student progress towards degree completion through improved course scheduling.
- Enhance the social, intellectual, cultural, residential, and recreational quality of student life.
- Initiate new learning centers that respond to societal needs such as public policy, environmental sustainability, and other interdisciplinary areas of inquiry.
- Evaluate and expand General Education course offerings.
- Evaluate a residential Honors College which provides a stimulating environment for gifted undergraduate students.
- Create a culture of evidence whereby every academic program is improved or discontinued based on measurement of student outcomes.
- Improve recruitment, retention, and degree completion for highly qualified undergraduates.
- Facilitate the transfer of students from peer institutions and other University of Hawai‘i campuses through clear articulation procedures.
- Upgrade the academic calendar with an integrated summer session and innovative scheduling throughout the year.
- Enhance educational effectiveness with an office of undergraduate studies.