With these templates UH Mānoa units can create websites in the manoa.hawaii.edu style. Instructions are provided below and some documentation is included in the comments tag (<!-- Read the instructions -->) within the files.
All templates are coded using valid, semantic XHTML 1.0 Transitional for structure and Cascading Stylesheets (CSS). They have been tested for the following browsers:
- Firefox: all versions
- Internet Explorer: 5, 6, 7 & 8 for Windows
- Safari: Windows and Mac OS X
- Google Chrome
Two Column Layout
Three Column Layout
- Review the template options and download the files
Use the 2col.html file for the two column layout and the 3col.html file for the three column layout. Dreamweaver template files are also included if you have Dreamweaver and wish to build a template-based site.
- Get familiar with XHTML and CSS
There are many online resources for XHTML and CSS. W3 Schools offers free tutorials at www.w3schools.com .
- The files reference our stylesheets so there is no need for a separate stylesheet. Of course, if you want to include additional CSS formatting, we suggest that you create a new .css file and host it on your own server.
- The files also link to separate header and footer files hosted on our server. If you want to make your own header, the full header graphic is included. We ask that you include a link to the UH Mānoa homepage at www.manoa.hawaii.edu. If you are not in the manoa subdomain be sure to adjust your links accordingly.
- Using Hawaiian Diacriticals
These templates were created so Hawaiian diacriticals will display correctly in the browsers tested above. To learn how to insert Hawaiian diacriticals, visit Hawaiian Language Online.
For UH Mānoa units that do not wish to use the new template, the Creative Services graphic standards guide (UH System) provides a variety of signatures for use on your website. To assist users in navigating our websites, we encourage all UH Mānoa units to download one of the images available and link the image to our homepage at www.manoa.hawaii.edu.