Responsible Conduct of Research
In keeping with federal regulations and granting agency requirements, the University of Hawaiʻi offers Responsible Conduct of Research training and education according to the following plans:
For National Science Foundation grant awards:
- NSF-RCR UHM Institutional Plan (PDF), January 4, 2010
For National Institutes of Health grant applications with a Responsible Conduct of Research training requirement:
- NIH-RCR UHM Institutional Plan (PDF), January 21, 2010
RCR Training Requirements
Responsible Conduct in Research (RCR) training is a requirement that applies to staff, students, and postdocs supported by NSF funding in the form of salaries, wages, facilities, supplies, or equipment. This is in accordance with the University’s Institutional Plan.
It includes the proper online (CITI) training followed by subsequent interactive requirements.
Completion of training [CITI certificate plus interactive session attendance] is valid for 4 years.
1) CITI Certification
CITI online training completion is required within 30 days of the initiation of NSF support.
CITI online coursework may take 1-8 hours, and may be done over several sessions. Upon successful completion of the CITI coursework, a certificate is issued (please download and keep a copy for your records).
Enter CITI at this link: https://www.citiprogram.org/Default.asp
- Follow their instructions to register as a new user, selecting the University of Hawaiʻi as your institution.
- Select Campus affiliation, provide Department name, Employer/PI/Mentor’s name if applicable, and phone number.
- After reading the introductory pages, select the Basic RCR course most appropriate for your discipline, and complete the course with an overall grade of 80 or higher. Scores will be automatically recorded by the system.
2) Interactive Session Attendance
Attendance at an interactive session is also required within 12 months of CITI online coursework completion.
RCR Interactive Session Schedule – to be announced
If you have questions, please phone (808) 956-5909 or e-mail: email@example.com