Bloodborne Pathogen Standards and Sharps Hazard Prevention
Bloodborne pathogens training is required when there is an occupational exposure to blood or other potentially infectious materials OSHA 1910.1030(a).
Note: Training is for UH laboratory personnel. For non-lab personnel, the Bloodborne Pathogens training is provided by UH EHSO Occupational Health and Safety Program. For more information, contact the program at 956-3204 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Training is required if you work with or handle:
- human blood products
- human body fluids (blood, semen, synovial fluid, amniotic fluid, CSF, pleural fluid, peritoneal fluid, pericardial fluid)
- unfixed human tissue
- primary cell lines
- human organs or tissues
- tissues or body fluids
- Hepatitis B virus or other bloodborne pathogens
- Enter or work in areas where other individuals work with any of the above materials where risk of exposure may occur.
Provided in classroom interactive setting as required by OSHA (1910.1030(g)(2).
To schedule a classroom training, contact us through the online Contact Form.
Bloodborne Pathogens Refresher/Evaluation Training
The Bloodborne Pathogens Refresher/Evaluation Training course is available online through Laulima for laboratory personnel.
- To register for the course, visit: https://laulima.hawaii.edu/autoenroll/?uh_biosafety
- Log in with your UH username and password. Note: Training is for laboratory personnel only. Staff, students or guests at the University who do not have a hawaii.edu username can obtain a username and password here. To gain temporary guest access to the training program without a hawaii.edu username use the online Contact Form. Please provide the PI's name in your message.
- The course will be added to your list of courses (the tabs at the top of your Laulima homepage). If not, try refreshing your window.
- Click on the "Bloodborne Pathogens Refresher" course and review the modules.
- Click on "Take the Quiz" in the left hand navigational panel, and then click "Bloodborne Pathogens Refresher Quiz " to begin the quiz.
- You will be notified via email of successful completion of the training.
If you have any problems, please Contact Us.