Tenure, Promotion, and Contract Renewal
The Tenure and Promotion process for Mānoa faculty is governed by three documents: Executive Policy, the Agreement between the University of Hawaii Professional Assembly and the Board of Regents of the University of Hawaii (UHPA contract), and your department's criteria and procedures. Additionally, the Criteria and Guidelines for Mānoa provides campus-wide criteria as well as instructions and guidelines for preparing the dossier.
Each fall, the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs holds informational workshops for faculty who will be applying for tenure and/or promotion. We encourage all faculty who will be submitting applications to attend one of these workshops, including those who will be applying within the next 3 years.
Fall 2016 Schedule of Workshops
Monday, August 29, 2016
Tuesday, August 30, 2016
Thursday, September 8, 2016
Friday, September 9, 2016
**For your convenience, the forms and applications are available for download below.
Forms and Downloads
- BOR/UHPA Contract (PDF)
Tenure and PromotionUpdated 8/2016
- Timetable 2016–2017 (PDF) Updated 8/2016
- UHM Criteria and Guidelines for Tenure and Promotion (PDF) Updated 8/2016
- Appendix A - Executive Policy - Classification of Faculty - E5.221 (PDF)
- Appendix B - Supplemental Guidelines for Librarians, Specialists, or Extension Agents (PDF)
- Tenure and Promotion Application
Please save relevant application files locally to your computer before you begin working on them.
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- Tenure and Promotion application form-fillable (PDF)
- All faculty Part 1 to Part 3 and Part 5 to Part 9 (DOC)
Alternative for MS Office 2008 (DOC)
- Memo on Minimum Qualifications for Tenure and Promotion 2016–2017 (PDF)