Lyon Arboretum celebrates National Public Gardens DayUniversity of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
Educ Spec, Lyon Arboretum
UH Mānoa's Lyon Arboretum joins hundreds of other botanical gardens across America to raise awareness of public gardens and their important role in promoting environmental stewardship, plant and water conservation, and education.
Events are scheduled for the Friday immediately preceding Mother's Day Weekend. One of the featured activities at Lyon Arboretum will be a lei making demonstration, showcasing beautiful lei made by Hui Hana Lei, the Arboretum’s lei volunteer group. Lei will be available for sale (just in time for Mother’s Day!).
A small assortment of plants from the Arboretum’s greenhouses will be available for sale at the Visitor Center.
The Children’s and Family Garden will be open with free, fun and educational activities set up throughout the garden for its young visitors. Come with keiki for a stroller roll or self propel!
Friday, May 7
- Lei making demonstration and lei sales (just in time for Mother’s Day!), 9:00 a.m.-noon in the Arboretum's Visitor Center
- Guided garden tours, 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
- Self-guided tours 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- Keiki activities in the Children’s and Family Garden 9:30- 11:30 a.m. and 12:30-2:00 p.m.
Saturday, May 8
- Orchid culture class, 9:00-11:00 a.m. ($20, registration required, call 988-0461)
- Guided garden tours, 10:00 a.m.
- Self-guided tours 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.