19th annual Family Fun Fair at Leeward
A great way to spend the day for the entire familyLeeward Community College
Marketing Officer, Chancellor's Office
Janice Ito, 455-0252
Family Fun Fair Chairperson
In honor of Arbor Day Hawaiʻi, the first 300 people can get a free pakalana plant from the Leeward CC Shade House.
This year, the fair teams up with Aloha ʻAina Earth Day to provide a convenient, one-stop recycle center for a large variety of items from e-waste/green waste to tires and appliances. Shredding of confidential documents will also be provided. (Details at the end of article).
Additional fair offerings include the Local Food Market, offering everything from organic produce to locally crafted baked goods and seasonings; tours of the Fossil & Mineral Exhibit and the Garden Section, featuring plants and ornamental sales, aquaponics, organic gardening, worms and vermicast.
The cornerstone of the Fair is “Discovery Square,” a bustling courtyard filled with more than 30 hands-on, interactive learning activities for the entire family. New exhibits include “The Music of Sound,” where ordinary household objects create a symphony of sound, and “As Seen on Mythbusters,” a recreation of the Discovery Channel’s popular TV show where myths circulating the internet are tested, with exploding soda bottles and feats of impossible strength.
Returning crowd-favorites include “CSI Leeward,” a mock crime scene investigation, Bubblicious Geometry, and BONES, a forensic puzzle waiting to be solved.
Other "Discovery Square" activities include:
- Re-Works of Art: A crafty approach to creating wearable art and collectibles using recycled materials.
- Bug Town: The bugs are back! Cheer on your favorite bug in a wacky race to the finish or watch creepy crawlers paint a trail of instant art.
- Pliable Polymer: Squiggle, squeeze and turn liquids into solids, creating your own polymer worms or a bag of the silliest putty
- Spaghetti Engineering: Build structures and bridges with food!
- Instant Snow: Snow in paradise? Make snow magically appear.
- Chemistry Magic: Freeze a flower or shrink a balloon with liquid nitrogen. Learn the "tricks" of real science.
- Read Alouds, Fossil & Mineral Exhibits, Discovery Square Store
The Family Fun Fair offers a variety of crafts exhibits, food and entertainment, including:
- Scholastic Book Fair
- Local Food Market
- Food booths, including fair favorites, shave ice and hot dogs
- Galactic Games, a galaxy of carnival games and inflatable fun
- Tours of the Fossil & Mineral Exhibits
- Continuous entertainment
- Native Hawaiian, ornamental and lei plant sales
Aloha ʻAina Earth Day Details
Drive-Thru Drop Off Recycling:
- Beverage containers
- Cooking oil
- Cellular phones
- Printer cartridges
- Newspaper, cardboard
- Tires (passenger tires-limit 4 per car)
- Plastic bags and hangers
- All kinds of batteries
- Telephone books, magazines
- Computers and accessories, electronics, E-waste
- Usable clothing/household items
- Green waste
- Scrap metal, bicycles
- Used eye glasses, hearing aids
- WILL NOT ACCEPT: Paints, hazardous fluids, gas tanks
Additional Services Available:
- Shredding confidential documents (maximum two banker boxes, 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. only)
- Unwanted cars – FREE TOWING by appointment only – phone 306-1876
For more information, visit: http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/FamilyFun