University of Hawai'i Board of Regents approves $25 million for capital improvements projects
BOR action helps support jobs and the economyUniversity of Hawaiʻi
External Affairs & University Relations
Brian Minaai, (808) 956-7935
Office of Capital Improvements
HONOLULU, Hawaiʻi — At its monthly meeting held in Kapolei, the University of Hawaiʻi Board of Regents (BOR) approved just over $25 million for capital improvements and repairs and maintenance (R&M) projects funded by general obligation and revenue bonds for the third quarter of fiscal year 2008-2009.
BOR approval authorizes the university to move forward with 16 proposed projects located at six of the university‘s campuses, some of which may be awarded as early as next month. "As these projects get under way, they will help the state create and retain jobs, which will have a multiplier impact throughout our economy," said UH President David McClain.
Six are design contracts totaling $4,775,300 for professional services and ten are construction contracts totaling $20,911,000. Twelve of the 16 are R&M related and four are new construction projects. Bids for new construction projects will be issued in February and March 2009.
The projects include major renovation and new construction ranging from the replacement of air conditioning systems to the upgrades of instructional facilities, offices, restrooms, support spaces and electrical and mechanical rooms. See below the list of proposed projects.
Professional Services Contracts:
· Edmondson Hall — Design for Renovations (UH Mānoa)
· Johnson Hall — Design for Renovations (UH Mānoa)
· Capital Renewal and Deferred Maintenance — Construction Management Services for Repairs and Maintenance Projects (UH Mānoa)
· Student Services Building, Addition and Renovation — Construction Management Services (UH Hilo)
· Library/Classroom Building — Design for Upgrade of Building Elevators, Air Conditioning, Electrical and other Building Improvements (Honolulu CC)
· Science Building — Construction Management Services (Maui CC)
· Art Building — Construction for General Repairs and Repainting, Phase II (UH Mānoa)
· Hale Kahawai and Hale Laulima — Construction for Reroofing and New Canopies (UH Mānoa)
· Moore Hall — Construction for Chilled Water Plant Improvements (UH Mānoa)
· Sakamaki Hall — Construction for the Repair and/or Replacement of Air Conditioning System, Phases I and II (UH Mānoa)
· Watanabe Hall — Construction for General Mechanical Repairs and Ventilation Improvements (UH Mānoa)
· North Hawaiʻi Education and Research Center — Construction for Phase IIB (UH Hilo)
· Lanikāula Street — Construction for Off-Site Sewer Improvements (UH Hilo)
· Pacific Aerospace Training Center — Construction for Reroofing Hangar 111 (Honolulu CC)
· ʻŌlapa Building — Construction for the Replacement of Air Conditioning System (Kapiʻolani CC)
· Hale Manaʻopono — Construction for Renovations (Windward CC)
Completion of these projects will help to ensure the safety and comfort of the students, faculty and staff.