International Educators from UH Play Significant Roles in Bi-Regional ConferenceUniversity of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
Director of UHM International Student Services and Chair of NAFSA Region XII
Several University of Hawaiʻi faculty, staff and students were selected to participate in sessions and/or panel discussions at the NAFSA: Association of International Educators Regions I (Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Idaho and British Columbia) and XII (Hawaii, California, Nevada) Bi-Regional Conference, held Nov. 10-14 at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.
According to Linda Duckworth, UHM Director of International Student Services and Chair of NAFSA Region XII, the individuals included:
* Professor of Hawaiian Studies (UHM) Jonathan Kay Kamakawiwoole Osorio, who presented the plenary address, "Songs of our Natural Selves: The Importance of Music and Poetry to Connect Us to our History and our Culture." Dr. Osorio received a standing ovation.
* International Programs Coordinator (LCC) Becky George, who served on a panel presentation, "Study Oregon/Study Hawaii: Working Collaboratively to Recruit International Students."
* Director of Global Education (UHH) Carolina Lam, who co-presented a session, "Case Studies in Intercultural Problem-Solving."
* UHM Assistant Director of International Student Services Martha Staff, Entomologist/Manager of Hawaii-Iraq Partnerships Ekhlass Jarjees, and students Amjad Ahmad and Adel Youkhana, who took part in a panel discussion, "Positive Outcomes of Higher Education Partnerships Between U.S. & Iraqi Universities."
* Staff Counselor of the Counseling and Student Development Center (UHM) Sean Kitaoka, who presented a session, "Mental Health for Japanese International Students." The session was named a "Best of Region" winner and forwarded for a possible encore presentation at the 2009 annual NAFSA national conference in Los Angeles.
* International Exchange Coordinator (UHM) Darrell Kicker and Associate Director of the Center for Japanese Studies (UHM) Gay Satsuma, who participated in a panel presentation, "Focused Exchange Programs: Encouraging Academic Collaborations Through Specific Country or Academic Area Exchanges."
* Coordinator of the Office of University Partners Program (Windward CC) Jayne Bopp and UHM doctoral student Meiko Arai, who presented a session, "Violence Against Women: An Examination of Relationship Violence Among Japanese and Other International Students."
* Director of International Programs of Outreach College (UHM) Judy Ensing, who participated in a panel presentation, "Developing and Applying Effective Program Planning Practices."
* Assistant to the Chancellor (UHWO) Melinda Wood, who co-presented a session, "International Education Stands Together but Does Higher Education or the Federal Government?"
* Global Mobility Coordinator (UHM) Rosemary Casey, who participated in a panel presentation, "Creative and Innovative International Partnerships."
* Director of International Education (KCC) Tom Tsurutani and Education Specialist (KCC) Takashi Miyaki, who participated in a panel presentation, "Investigating an Alternative English-Proficiency Test for College Admission Purposes."
* Director of International Student Services (UHM) Linda Duckworth, Retired ISS Director June Naughton, UHM alumnus Heyse Ngan, and students Nozomi Hamaguchi and Yubin Wu, who participated in a panel discussion, "The Challenges of Fostering International Student Leadership through an International Student Association."
* Director of International Student Services (UHH) Ruth Robison and Instructor (Hawaii CC) Sherri Leibert Fujita, who presented a poster session, "An International Student Adviser‘s Guide to Students from Pacific Island Entities."
* Director of Global Education (UHH) Carolina Lam and Director of Global Exchange (UHH) Todd Shumway, who presented a poster session, "Bringing the World to the Island of Hawaii: Cross-Cultural Learning International Education Week Initiatives."
* UHM student Sharima Ruwaida Abbas, who presented a poster session, "Colors of Aceh Tsunami: Working with Child Survivors."
* Director of Global Education (UHH) Carolina Lam, who co-presented a poster session, "Ship for World Youth for 18-40 Year Olds: Affordable Programs Lasting Two Months, Experiences Lasting a Lifetime."
* Coordinator for Global Mobility Rosemary Casey (UHM), who presented a poster session, "The NAFSA-Peace Corps Connection: Planning for Peace Corps 50th Anniversary."
For more information, contact Linda Duckworth, Ph.D., UHM Director of International Student Services and Chair of NAFSA Region XII, at 956-8613 or firstname.lastname@example.org.See the Web site at www.hawaii.edu/issmanoa.
For more information, visit: http://www.hawaii.edu/issmanoa