Skip to main content

University of East Anglia

University of East Anglia



  • Norwich is located about 2 hours northeast of London by train or car. Trains depart from Norwich to London every 30 minutes. Miles of unspoilt coastline are just a 40 minute car journey or cheap bus ticket away from Norwich.
  • Norwich is one of the most vibrant and attractive cities in Europe. It is ranked in the Top 10 shopping cities in the UK and as well as being a hotbed for the arts, culture, music, nightlife, and tourism.
  • Read more about the city of Norwich


Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors.

  • Academic areas at UEA:
    • Arts & Humanities - American Studies; Film & Television Studies; History; Language & Communication Studies; Literature, Drama, & Creative Writing; Music; Philosophy; Political, Social, & International Studies; World Art Studies; Museology
    • Social Sciences & Business - International Development, Economics, Law, Business, Social Work, Psychology
    • Sciences - Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Computing Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Mathematics
  • Browse Courses at UEA What Can I Study (Note: Students usually take 3 'modules' per semester. At least 2 modules must be in the same area.


Yes - English is the language of instruction at UEA, and in the United Kingdom in general.


Fall Semester Late September - mid December
Spring Semester Mid January - early June
Students may study at UEA for two consecutive semesters, starting in the fall or spring.
Summer See MIX Summer Programs for dates.


Dormitories Exchange students may apply for on-campus housing. There are several different Residence Halls at UEA.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - In addition to paying UHM tuition, you are responsible for all living and travel expenses during your international exchange. Below are estimates of these expenses, for planning purposes only. Amounts listed below are for one semester, and will vary based on your individual needs and choices, as well as foreign exchange rate fluctuations.     

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   


What is a visa? A visa is an official stamp or document affixed within your passport that has been issued by a foreign government granting permission for entry into the country for a specific purpose.

MIX Students: It is your responsibility to obtain a student visa, if required. The information below is provided for reference purposes only; always consult your destination country's consulate website for the latest and most accurate information on visa requirements. Visa requirements may be different for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens.

United Kingdom: Exchange students going to the UK for one semester may apply for a Student Visitor Visa or a Tier IV Student Visa. It is easier and more affordable to obtain a Student Visitor Visa, but that type of visa has a maximum duration of 6 months, and students are not allowed to work from abroad. Students going on a yearlong exchange must apply for a Tier IV Student Visa.










Interactive MIX Map