Skip to main content

National Sun Yat-Sen University

National Sun Yat-Sen University


Kaohsiung, TAIWAN

  • Kaohsiung City is located on the Southern coast of Taiwan. The city was declared as a Specialty Municipality in July of 1979. Known as the “Port City” in Southern Taiwan for its largest commercial harbor that ranks third in the world, Kaohsiung city has 11 administrative districts with approximately 1.51 Million in population.


Open to undergraduate students in all majors

  • Academic areas at NSYSU: Liberal Arts, Science, Engineering, Management, Marine Sciences, Social Sciences, and General Education
  • Note to Business Students: This university is AACSB accredited.
  • Explore NSYSU Academic Colleges


Yes - there is a limited number of courses taught in English in the following academic departments: Foreign Language & Literature, Biological Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Electrical, Mechanical, and Computer Engineering, Business Management, Finance, Resource Management, Political Science, China and Asia-Pacific Studies


Fall Semester Early August - late January*
Spring Semester Early February - late July
Year Early August - late July (academic year)
Summer See MIX Summer Programs for dates.

*If you receive financial aid, you may not study at NSYSU for just the Fall Semester. Doing so will render you ineligible for financial aid for the following spring semester at UHM.


Housing for exchange students is available in the International Village (single rooms, common bathroom and kitchen areas).


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - In addition to paying UHM tuition, you are responsible for all living and travel expenses during your international exchange. Below are estimates of these expenses, for planning purposes only. Amounts listed below are for one semester, and will vary based on your individual needs and choices, as well as foreign exchange rate fluctuations.      

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX


What is a visa? A visa is an official stamp or document affixed within your passport that has been issued by a foreign government granting permission for entry into the country for a specific purpose.

MIX Students: It is your responsibility to obtain a student visa, if required. The information below is provided for reference purposes only; always consult your destination country's consulate website for the latest and most accurate information on visa requirements. Visa requirements may be different for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens.

Taiwan: Exchange students must apply for a valid visa in their country of residence before entering Taiwan. For a semester abroad, students may apply for a Visitor Visa (multiple-entry recommended); for a year abroad, students should apply for a Resident Visa. UHM students may apply for their visa to Taiwan at the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Honolulu, located at 2746 Pali Highway. In preparation for visiting TECO-Honolulu to apply for a visa, students should gather the following application items (subject to change):

  • Visa application form (complete online, then print out)
  • Valid passport
  • 2 passport size photos
  • Official acceptance letter from host university
  • Round trip flight itinerary
  • Bank statement proving at least $2,000 of funds
Please note that male students who have dual citizenship and enter Taiwan with ROC (Taiwan) passports will be subject to the Taiwanese compulsory military service regulations.










Interactive MIX Map