Skip to main content

National Taiwan University

National Taiwan University


Taipei, TAIWAN


Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors.

  • Academic areas at NTU: Exchange students may also enroll Chinese language courses, or courses taught in English. Students who already have advanced proficiency in
  • Chinese may enroll in regular university courses taught in Chinese.


Yes - The following NTU Colleges offer courses taught in English: Liberal Arts, Science, Social Science, Medicine, Engineering, Bio-Resources & Agriculture, Management, Public Health, Electrical Engineering, Law, Life Science View NTU courses taught in English by College


Fall Semester Early August* - late January**
Spring Semester Early February - late July
Year Early August - late July (academic year)
  • NTU Academic Calendar
  • *A special "Plus One" Summer Intensive Chinese & Culture program is available to students who will attend NTU in the fall semester. The Summer Intensive program runs for four weeks leading up to the fall semester.
  • **If you receive financial aid, you may not study at NTU for just the Fall Semester. Doing so will render you ineligible for financial aid for the following spring semester at UHM.


Exchange students at NTU have two options for housing: the Prince House Dormitories (located just across the street from NTU), and the Guo Qing Dorm. Indicate your housing proference in the online NTU application for exchange students.
Arrange your own housing
Students may arrange their own off-campus housing.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - In addition to paying UHM tuition, you are responsible for all living and travel expenses during your international exchange. Below are estimates of these expenses, for planning purposes only. Amounts listed below are for one semester, and will vary based on your individual needs and choices, as well as foreign exchange rate fluctuations.       

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   

Note: Students who want to further improve their Chinese language skills at NTU within a small class environment with more personalized instruction may enroll in a "Selected Chinese Course" (Elementary/Intermediate/Advanced) or "Chinese Tutorial Course" (Intermediate/Advanced). There is a fee for these courses, and students receive a certificate of completion at the end of the course.


What is a visa? A visa is an official stamp or document affixed within your passport that has been issued by a foreign government granting permission for entry into the country for a specific purpose.

MIX Students: It is your responsibility to obtain a student visa, if required. The information below is provided for reference purposes only; always consult your destination country's consulate website for the latest and most accurate information on visa requirements. Visa requirements may be different for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens.

Taiwan: Exchange students must apply for a valid visa in their country of residence before entering Taiwan. For a semester abroad, students may apply for a Visitor Visa (multiple-entry recommended); for a year abroad, students should apply for a Resident Visa. UHM students may apply for their visa to Taiwan at the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Honolulu, located at 2746 Pali Highway. In preparation for visiting TECO-Honolulu to apply for a visa, students should gather the following application items (subject to change):

  • Visa application form (complete online, then print out)
  • Valid passport
  • 2 passport size photos
  • Official acceptance letter from host university
  • Round trip flight itinerary
  • Bank statement proving at least $2,000 of funds
Please note that male students who have dual citizenship and enter Taiwan with ROC (Taiwan) passports will be subject to the Taiwanese compulsory military service regulations.










Interactive MIX Map