Skip to main content

Lund University

Lund University



  • Lund is located in southern Sweden, near the city of Malmö, right over the bridge from Denmark.


Open to undergraduate students in all majors.

  • Lund is an especially good fit for students in Sociology and Social Sciences!
  • Academic areas at Lund: Exchange students take courses in LU's Department of Sociology. Students typically take one or two courses at a time throughout the duration of the semester, rather than taking all courses at once. Most courses are 5 or 10 weeks long.
  • Other courses within the Lund Faculty of Social Science
  • Note: 1 ECTS credit = .6 semester credits (5 ECTS = 3 UHM credits). 30 ECTS / 18 semester credits is considered a normal courseload.


Yes - Lund University offers more than 300 courses in English recommended for exchange students.

Exchange students can also take extra courses in subjects such as Swedish language, Swedish and Scandinavian culture and society, and European & global issues.



Fall Semester Early September - mid January*
Spring Semester Mid January - early June
Year Early September - early June (academic year)
  • Lund University Academic Calendar
  • *Note: If you receive financial aid, you may not study at Lund University for just the Fall Semester. Doing so will render you ineligible for financial aid for the following spring semester at UHM.


Exchange students may apply for on-campus housing through the International Housing Office at Lund University. Student Halls of Residence consist of "corridors" of 10-12 private rooms, most with its own en suite bathroom. Each corridor has a common kitchen area and living area.
Arrange your own housing
Studio flats are available through the International Housing Office.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - In addition to paying UHM tuition, you are responsible for all living and travel expenses during your international exchange. Below are estimates of these expenses, for planning purposes only. Amounts listed below are for one semester, and will vary based on your individual needs and choices, as well as foreign exchange rate fluctuations.    

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   


Activities for Exchange Students - Sweden is part of the Schengen Borders Agreement. Lund University can match exchange students with "International Mentors". Mentors help new students with practical matters and introduce you to various student activities and everyday Swedish living. Lund University also has a "Friend Family Programme." Students who are interested in learning more about Swedish culture can apply for a Friend Family. This is not a host family living situation; rather, students visit their family for occasional meals or other activities.

What is a visa? A visa is an official stamp or document affixed within your passport that has been issued by a foreign government granting permission for entry into the country for a specific purpose.

MIX Students: It is your responsibility to obtain a student visa, if required. The information below is provided for reference purposes only; always consult your destination country's consulate website for the latest and most accurate information on visa requirements. Visa requirements may be different for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens.

Sweden: Exchange students need to apply for a Residence Permit for Permission to Study in Sweden prior to departure. France is part of the Schengen Borders Agreement.










Interactive MIX Map