Skip to main content

University of Bergen

University of Bergen


Bergen, NORWAY


Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors.

  • Academic areas at Bergen: Humanities, Law, Mathematics & Natural Sciences, Medicine & Dentistry, Psychology, and Social Sciences. See all UB Faculties
  • Courses numbered 200 and 300 are considered upper-level courses. 100 level are beginners courses. Note: 1 ECTS credit = .6 semester credits (5 ECTS = 3 UHM credits). 30 ECTS / 18 semester credits is considered a normal courseload.


Yes - Some courses in the humanities & arts, social sciences, natural sciences, technololgy, law, and psychology are taught in English. Courses for Exchange Students (taught in English)


Fall Semester Mid August - mid December
Spring Semester Early January - mid June
Year Students may study at the University of Bergen for two consecutive semesters, starting in the fall or spring.


Arrange your own housing
The University of Bergen provides housing accommodations to exchange students through the Student Welfare Organisation in Bergen (SiB). SiB has more than 3,000 accommodation units, which are mainly single or double rooms where tenents share a bathroom and a kitchen. Accommodations are comfortable and not far from campus. There are several cafeterias and a cafe on campus.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - In addition to paying UHM tuition, you are responsible for all living and travel expenses during your international exchange. Below are estimates of these expenses, for planning purposes only. Amounts listed below are for one semester, and will vary based on your individual needs and choices, as well as foreign exchange rate fluctuations.       

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   

University of Bergen housing and living cost estimates are given in the 'Your Guide' Brochure.


What is a visa? A visa is an official stamp or document affixed within your passport that has been issued by a foreign government granting permission for entry into the country for a specific purpose.

MIX Students: It is your responsibility to obtain a student visa, if required. The information below is provided for reference purposes only; always consult your destination country's consulate website for the latest and most accurate information on visa requirements. Visa requirements may be different for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens.

Norway: U.S. citizens have a visa exemption to Norway; only a valid passport is needed to enter. However, international students must have a Study Residence Permit while staying in Norway. As a general rule, exchange students should apply for a a Residence Permit before arriving in Norway. Norway is part of the Schengen Borders Agreement.










Interactive MIX Map