Skip to main content

University of Waikato

University of Waikato




Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors.

  • Academic areas at Waikato: A broad range of subjects are offered at the University of Waikato, including arts & humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, engineering, law, sports & leisure, tourism & hospitality, and business.
  • Note to Business Students: This university is AACSB accredited.
  • Full list of subjects at University of Waikato


Yes - English is an official language in New Zealand, and the language of instruction at the University.


Fall Semester Early July - early November ("B Semester")
Spring Semester Late February - mid June ("A Semester")
Students may study at Waikato for two consecutive semesters, starting in the fall or spring.
  • Since New Zealand is in the southern hemisphere, the seasons are reversed. Plan ahead for your visit to New Zealand by checking out the climate and seasons.


On-campus Halls of Residence are available.
Arrange your own housing
Students may arrange private off-campus accommodations.
Homestays are only available for students under age 18.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - In addition to paying UHM tuition, you are responsible for all living and travel expenses during your international exchange. Below are estimates of these expenses, for planning purposes only. Amounts listed below are for one semester, and will vary based on your individual needs and choices, as well as foreign exchange rate fluctuations.      

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   


What is a visa? A visa is an official stamp or document affixed within your passport that has been issued by a foreign government granting permission for entry into the country for a specific purpose.

MIX Students: It is your responsibility to obtain a student visa, if required. The information below is provided for reference purposes only; always consult your destination country's consulate website for the latest and most accurate information on visa requirements. Visa requirements may be different for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens.

New Zealand: Exchange students must obtain a student visa before entering New Zealand, even if you are from 'visa-free countries.' Most UHM students apply for a student visa through the Los Angeles consulate through the mail. Processing time for a student visa is about 25 days; the visa application fee is waived for U.S. citizens. As part of the visa application process, you are required to show that you have at least $7,500 worth of available funds, plus either a return airline ticket or at least $1,000 extra to purchase a return airline ticket.










Interactive MIX Map