Skip to main content

Auckland University of Technology

AUT University




Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors.

  • Academic areas at AUT: Art & Design; Communication Studies; Computing & Mathematical Sciences; Engineering; Hospitality, Tourism & Event Management; Language & Culture; Social Sciences; Sport & Recreation; Maori Development.
  • Explore AUT Academic Areas


Yes - English is an official language in New Zealand, and the language of instruction at the University.


Fall Semester Mid July - mid November ("Semester 2")
Spring Semester Early March - mid June ("Semester 1")
Students may study at AUT for two consecutive semesters, starting in the fall or spring.


Many international students choose to live in AUT’s residential accommodation complexes because they offer an ideal opportunity to make friends with both local and other international students.
Arrange your own housing
Campus apartments as well as private flats are available.
A homestay option is available.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - In addition to paying UHM tuition, you are responsible for all living and travel expenses during your international exchange. Below are estimates of these expenses, for planning purposes only. Amounts listed below are for one semester, and will vary based on your individual needs and choices, as well as foreign exchange rate fluctuations.      

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX


What is a visa? A visa is an official stamp or document affixed within your passport that has been issued by a foreign government granting permission for entry into the country for a specific purpose.

MIX Students: It is your responsibility to obtain a student visa, if required. The information below is provided for reference purposes only; always consult your destination country's consulate website for the latest and most accurate information on visa requirements. Visa requirements may be different for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens.

New Zealand: Exchange students must obtain a student visa before entering New Zealand, even if you are from 'visa-free countries.' Most UHM students apply for a student visa through the Los Angeles consulate through the mail. Processing time for a student visa is about 25 days; the visa application fee is waived for U.S. citizens. As part of the visa application process, you are required to show that you have at least $7,500 worth of available funds, plus either a return airline ticket or at least $1,000 extra to purchase a return airline ticket.










Interactive MIX Map