Skip to main content

Leiden University

Leiden University


Leiden, the Netherlands

  • Leiden is a typical university city, hosting the oldest university in the Netherlands (Leiden University was founded in 1575).
  • Map of the city of Leiden


Open to undergraduate students in all majors.

  • Academic areas at Leiden: Courses taught in English can be found in the following areas: Archaeology, Art History, Anthropoligy, Chinese Studies, Dutch Studies, English, History, Japanese Studies, Law, Linguistics & Literature, Medicine & Biomedical Sciences, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Public Administration, Religious Studies, and Science.
  • There are also beginning Dutch Language and Studies courses offered for foreigners.


Yes - Although the primary language of instruction at Leiden University is Dutch, some courses are taught in other languages, including English.


Fall Semester September - January*
Spring Semester February - June
Year September - June (academic year)

*Note: In some cases, students may arrange to take their fall semester exams in late December. However, if you receive financial aid, you may not study at Leiden University for just the Fall Semester. Doing so will render you ineligible for financial aid for the following spring semester at UHM.


Arrange your own housing
Leiden University can arrange housing for exchange students. Leiden University does not own any of its own housing facilities; it uses local housing coorporations to find housing for students close to campus. Upon acceptance to Leiden University, students must pay a housing deposit to reserve their housing.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - In addition to paying UHM tuition, you are responsible for all living and travel expenses during your international exchange. Below are estimates of these expenses, for planning purposes only. Amounts listed below are for one semester, and will vary based on your individual needs and choices, as well as foreign exchange rate fluctuations.     

FINANCIAL AID - **NOTICE: Until further notice, students who intend to apply Federal financial aid towards their exchange program will not be able to attend the Leiden University Program. For further details, please consult with a MIX advisor.**


What is a visa? A visa is an official stamp or document affixed within your passport that has been issued by a foreign government granting permission for entry into the country for a specific purpose.

MIX Students: It is your responsibility to obtain a student visa, if required. The information below is provided for reference purposes only; always consult your destination country's consulate website for the latest and most accurate information on visa requirements. Visa requirements may be different for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens.

Netherlands: Exchange students who are U.S. citizens typically do not need a visa to study in the Netherlands. However, you do need a Residence Permit in order to study abroad in the Netherlands for a semster or year. Once you accept your offer of admission from Leiden, you must send several required documents to the Leiden University Admissions Office, and they will apply for a Residence Permit on your behalf. The Netherlands is part of the Schengen Borders Agreement.










Interactive MIX Map