Skip to main content

Soonchunhyang University

Soonchunhyang University






Yes - In the International Studies Program, there are about 50 courses taught in English. These courses include Korean Studies, Asian Culture, History, Politics, Economics, and Korean Language.



Fall Semester Late August - mid December
Spring Semester Late February - mid June
Students may study at SCH for two consecutive semesters, starting in the fall or spring.
Summer See MIX Summer Programs for dates.


Exchange students may live on campus in the Global Village or other dormitories.
  • SCH Campus Dormitories Information
  • Note: UHM Exchange students receive complimentary housing at Soonchunhyang University, plus a modest monthly stipend (approximately US $100/month) to help cover living expenses and meals.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - In addition to paying UHM tuition, you are responsible for all living and travel expenses during your international exchange. Below are estimates of these expenses, for planning purposes only. Amounts listed below are for one semester, and will vary based on your individual needs and choices, as well as foreign exchange rate fluctuations.      

  • Books & Supplies: $200
  • Housing & Meals: $1,600*
  • Personal Expenses: $2,000
  • Local Transportation: $250
  • Round-trip airfare (from Hawaii): $1,200
  • Health Insurance: $400
  • Visa Expenses: $80

*UHM Exchange students receive complimentary housing at Soonchunhyang University, plus a modest monthly stipend (approximately US $100/month) and a $700 airfare reimbursement for participating in the 'Culture and Language Internship Scholarship Program.' For the internship scholarship, students meet with Korean students for one-on-one exchanges for approximately 15 hours per week, for 12 weeks.

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   


What is a visa? A visa is an official stamp or document affixed within your passport that has been issued by a foreign government granting permission for entry into the country for a specific purpose.

MIX Students: It is your responsibility to obtain a student visa, if required. The information below is provided for reference purposes only; always consult your destination country's consulate website for the latest and most accurate information on visa requirements. Visa requirements may be different for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens.

Korea: Exchange students use the Certificate of Admission received from their Korean host university to obtain a student visa. Student visas (D-2 visas) are issued at Korean Consulates. Student visas can are typically processed within five working days. Required documents for the D-2 visa are (subject to change):

  • A valid passport
  • A completed visa application (see website below)
  • Passport size photo
  • fee
  • Admissions letter or certificate of registration issued by the president of the college or university.
  • Certificate of bank balance.
  • A copy of Diploma or the most recent school transcript
Upon arrival in Korea, students who will be staying for more than 90 days must obtain a Certificate of Alien Registration from the Seoul Immigration Office.










Interactive MIX Map