Skip to main content

Sookmyung Women's University

Sookmyung Women's University


Seoul, KOREA


Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors.

  • Academic areas at SWU: UHM students have two options for study at Sookmyung:
    • Student Exchange Program
    • Korean Language Program
      • Regular Classes run Mon-Fri 9am-1pm. UHM exchange students receive a 20% discount off tuition and fee; total cost of the course is around 1,060,000 KW (about $930 USD).
      • Evening Classes run Mon, Weds, Fri 7-9pm. UHM exchange students receive a 20% discount off tuition and fee; total cost of the course is around 366,000 KW (about $324 USD).


Yes - Sookmyung offers approximately 150 courses in English through undergraduate and graduate programs. Students can choose a variety of courses such as Korean language, International Studies, Korean Studies, Business and Economics, etc. There are also many opportunities to experience traditional Korean culture on and off campus through lectures and field trips.


Korean Language Program:

Fall Semester Early October - mid December
Spring Semester Early January - late March
Students may study at SWU for two consecutive semesters, starting in the fall or spring.
Summer See MIX Summer Programs for dates.

Student Exchange Program:

Fall Semester Late August - mid December
Spring Semester Late February - mid June
Students may study at SWU for two consecutive semesters, starting in the fall or spring.


Several types of dormitories are available: International House I (double and quad occupancy, shared bathrooms), International House III (single occupancy with private bathroom), In Jae Dormitory (single and triple rooms with private bathroom). There are several cafeterias located on campus.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - In addition to paying UHM tuition, you are responsible for all living and travel expenses during your international exchange. Below are estimates of these expenses, for planning purposes only. Amounts listed below are for one semester, and will vary based on your individual needs and choices, as well as foreign exchange rate fluctuations.     

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   


What is a visa? A visa is an official stamp or document affixed within your passport that has been issued by a foreign government granting permission for entry into the country for a specific purpose.

MIX Students: It is your responsibility to obtain a student visa, if required. The information below is provided for reference purposes only; always consult your destination country's consulate website for the latest and most accurate information on visa requirements. Visa requirements may be different for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens.

Korea: Exchange students use the Certificate of Admission received from their Korean host university to obtain a student visa. Student visas (D-2 visas) are issued at Korean Consulates. Student visas can are typically processed within five working days. Required documents for the D-2 visa are (subject to change):

  • A valid passport
  • A completed visa application (see website below)
  • Passport size photo
  • fee
  • Admissions letter or certificate of registration issued by the president of the college or university.
  • Certificate of bank balance.
  • A copy of Diploma or the most recent school transcript
Upon arrival in Korea, students who will be staying for more than 90 days must obtain a Certificate of Alien Registration from the Seoul Immigration Office.










Interactive MIX Map