Skip to main content

Ryukoku University

Ryukoku University


Osaka, JAPAN


  • Japanese and Asian Studies (JAS) Program - Open to undergraduate students in all majors. Offers students with little or no Japanese background a unique opportunity to study Japanese and Asian culture, including: Buddhism and other Asian religions, Japanese literature, theater, society, economics and politics. All classes taught in English; some classes are with Japanese students.
  • Japanese Culture and Language Program (JCLP) - Open to undergraduate students in all majors. This is a one-year intensive course, centered on the Japanese language and a variety of Japanese affairs. It is ideal for students with an interest in Japanese language and culture, or those preparing for entry into a Japanese university. Students should have had at least 300 hours of Japanese langauge studies (self-study included) in order to enter this program. Students take a language placement test at the beginning of the program. In the JCLP, the primary langauge of instruction is Japanese, although there is at least one course on Buddhism that is taught in English.
  • Regular Ryukoku University Faculties - Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors, who have advanced proficiency in Japanese. .Letters, Economics, Business Administration, Law, Policy Science, Science and Technology, Sociology, and Intercultural Communication. Classes are taught in Japanese.



Yes - In the JAS program, students may enroll in a combination of lecture courses that are taught in English and Japanese language courses.


Japanese and Asian Studies (JAS):

Spring Semester Early April - early August

Japanese Culture and Language Program (JCLP):

Year September - early August (academic year)



There are five dormitories for international students, all conveniently located near all three campuses (within walking distance). In the dormitories, Japanese student 'tutors' live together with international students to counsel and support them in their daily lives. Tutors organize events and activities, and can help international students with practical matters such as course registration, banking, local transportation, etc. JAS students live in the Lumiere Mamiya International Student Flat.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - In addition to paying UHM tuition, you are responsible for all living and travel expenses during your international exchange. Below are estimates of these expenses, for planning purposes only. Amounts listed below are for one semester, and will vary based on your individual needs and choices, as well as foreign exchange rate fluctuations.     

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   

National Health Insurance Program - International students residing in Japan for one semester or one year may be required to enroll in this program through their host university in Japan. Japanese National Health Insurance may not be required if students purchase adequate health insurance in their home country.


What is a visa? A visa is an official stamp or document affixed within your passport that has been issued by a foreign government granting permission for entry into the country for a specific purpose.

MIX Students: It is your responsibility to obtain a student visa, if required. The information below is provided for reference purposes only; always consult your destination country's consulate website for the latest and most accurate information on visa requirements. Visa requirements may be different for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens.

Japan: The requirements for visas to Japan vary depending upon nationality (citizenship), purpose of trip, and length of stay. As a rule, applications must be submitted in person to the Japanese Consulate.

The Consulate General of Japan in Honolulu has a jurisdiction covering the State of Hawaii. Once you have a valid passport and the other required documents, you will need to visit the Consulate General of Japan at Honolulu and apply for a visa.

The Consulate General of Japan is located at 1742 Nuuanu Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96817 USA. Tel: 808-543-3111.

If you are studying abroad for a semester or year, please be sure to apply for a “College Student” status visa. It may not be possible to have your status changed later.

You will need at least the following documents when applying for your College Student status visa:

1. Visa application form with passport photos attached (download from Consulate General of Japan at Honolulu website).

2. Copy of Certificate of Admission to your host university in Japan. (This is a formal letter that will be sent directly to the MIX Office. You will receive an email when it is available for pick-up.)

3. Certificate of Eligibility (Will be sent directly to the MIX office about two months before your departure for Japan. You will receive an email when it is available for pick-up.)

4. Your valid passport

Residents of other states should contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulate that handles visas for your area.

Upon Arrival in Japan - When you arrive at the airport in Japan, you will go through an Immigration Inspection. Your passport and Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence will be checked, and your residence status and your formal period of stay will be decided.

Part-time work while studying in Japan - Exchange students who are granted the 'Student' status of residence may be permitted to work part-time while in Japan, as long as it does not affect their studies. To apply for permission, please fill out an "Application for Permission to Engage in Activities other than that Permitted under Status of Residence Previously Granted" when you apply for your visa.










Interactive MIX Map