Skip to main content

Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University

Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University


Beppu, JAPAN

  • Beppu is located in southwestern Japan, two hours away from Fukuoka city. Beppu City’s beautiful natural surroundings and reputation as an international tourist destination make it an ideal setting for a multicultural university. Beppu to Tokyo is 90 minutes by plane (6.5 hours by train).
  • Learn more about Beppu
  • Campus Map: Ritsumeikan APU (includes many photos of the beautiful campus)


Open to undergraduate students in all majors. Open to students of all levels of Japanese, including students with absolutely no prior knowledge of Japanese language.

  • Academic areas at APU: College of Asia Pacific Studies - Environment and Development; Culture, Socieity and Media; Hospitality and Tourism; International Relations and Peace Studies; College of International Management - Strategic Management and Organization; Innovation and Economics; Marketing; Accounting and Finance. All courses except for 'Major Seminars', 'Research Seminars', and 'Thesis' are open to exchange students. Exchange students may take chosen subjects in English, plus intensive Japanese language courses. Students who have advanced proficiency in Japanese may take courses taught in Japanese.
  • APU Course Syllabi Search Engine
  • Get Involved - There are over 200 student clubsin the areas of Sports, Music & Dance, Art & Culture, Volunteer, and Business & Study.


Yes - Ritsumeikan APU offers dual language education. Many, but not all, courses are taught in English.

The language of instruction is noted on the syllabu - the course title ends with a code indicating English (E) or Japanese (J). Courses not marked with E or J may be graduate level courses.



Spring Semester Late March - early August (Quarters SP1 & SP2)
Year Mid September - early August (Quarters FA1-SP2)
Summer See MIX Summer Programs for dates.


On-campus dormitory "AP House" is available for exchange students. AP House has single or shared rooms with communal kitchens. There is an on-campus cafeteria, plus an on-campus Cafe. No meal plan is available, but students are free to use the communal kitchens in the AP House.
A weekend homestay options for students who want interaction with a Japanese family. Students may apply for a weekend family upon arrival to APU through the Student Office.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - In addition to paying UHM tuition, you are responsible for all living and travel expenses during your international exchange. Below are estimates of these expenses, for planning purposes only. Amounts listed below are for one semester, and will vary based on your individual needs and choices, as well as foreign exchange rate fluctuations.    

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   

National Health Insurance Program - All exchange students at APU for one semester or one year are required to enroll in National Health Insurance.


What is a visa? A visa is an official stamp or document affixed within your passport that has been issued by a foreign government granting permission for entry into the country for a specific purpose.

MIX Students: It is your responsibility to obtain a student visa, if required. The information below is provided for reference purposes only; always consult your destination country's consulate website for the latest and most accurate information on visa requirements. Visa requirements may be different for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens.

Japan: The requirements for visas to Japan vary depending upon nationality (citizenship), purpose of trip, and length of stay. As a rule, applications must be submitted in person to the Japanese Consulate.

The Consulate General of Japan in Honolulu has a jurisdiction covering the State of Hawaii. Once you have a valid passport and the other required documents, you will need to visit the Consulate General of Japan at Honolulu and apply for a visa.

The Consulate General of Japan is located at 1742 Nuuanu Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96817 USA. Tel: 808-543-3111.

If you are studying abroad for a semester or year, please be sure to apply for a “College Student” status visa. It may not be possible to have your status changed later.

You will need at least the following documents when applying for your College Student status visa:

1. Visa application form with passport photos attached (download from Consulate General of Japan at Honolulu website).

2. Copy of Certificate of Admission to your host university in Japan. (This is a formal letter that will be sent directly to the MIX Office. You will receive an email when it is available for pick-up.)

3. Certificate of Eligibility (Will be sent directly to the MIX office about two months before your departure for Japan. You will receive an email when it is available for pick-up.)

4. Your valid passport

Residents of other states should contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulate that handles visas for your area.

Upon Arrival in Japan - When you arrive at the airport in Japan, you will go through an Immigration Inspection. Your passport and Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence will be checked, and your residence status and your formal period of stay will be decided.

Part-time work while studying in Japan - Exchange students who are granted the 'Student' status of residence may be permitted to work part-time while in Japan, as long as it does not affect their studies. To apply for permission, please fill out an "Application for Permission to Engage in Activities other than that Permitted under Status of Residence Previously Granted" when you apply for your visa.










Interactive MIX Map