Skip to main content

Nihon University

Nihon University


Tokyo, JAPAN


  • College of Humanities and Sciences - Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors. Exchange students at CHS may take International Studies Courses and Japanese Studies Courses, which are taught in English. They may also take Japanese language courses through the Nihon University Japanese Language Program (JLP) or Japanese Language and Studies Program (JLSP). Students who already have advanced proficiency in Japanese may also take regular university classes in other CHS Departments: Philosophy, History, Japanese Literature, Chinese Language & Culture, English Literature, German Literature, Sociology, Education, Physical Education, Psychology, Geography, Geosystem Sciences, Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, and Chemistry.
  • College of Economics - Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors. Exchange Students take Japanese language courses (JLP) in the mornings, and Economics courses taught in English in the afternoons. Some Economics courses are a semester long, and others are a year long (start in January and end in December). Exchange students should only enroll in courses that are one semester long, even if they are going on exchange for the entire academic year; exchange students may not earn credit for yearlong courses at Nihon CoE.
  • Japanese Language and Studies Program (JLSP) - Open to undergraduate students in all majors. For students who solely want to improve their Japanese language skills. Students study Japanese language for three hours per day for two and a half months (JLSP can now be done for 2 semesters).


Yes - Within the College of Humanities and Sciences, International Studies Courses and Japanese Studies Courses are offered in English. All other courses are taught in Japanese, and are only open to exchange students who already have advanced proficiency in Japanese.

The College of Economics includes many courses taught in English; both local and international students may enroll in these courses.



College of Humanities and Sciences / College of Economics:

Spring Semester April - July
Year Mid September - July (academic year)

Japanese Language and Studies Program (JLSP):

Fall Semester Mid September - early December
Spring Semester Mid January - late March


College of Humanities and Sciences:

Housing is partially subsidized for exchange students. Dormitories have single rooms with shared shower/bathroom, and are a short train ride away from the College.
Arrange your own housing
Students may make their own housing arrangements off campus, at their own expense. There is an abundance of apartment houses and flats in Tokyo (monthly costs range from 50,000-90,000 yen).

College of Economics:

Housing and some meals are provided to UHM exchange students by Nihon University College of Economics free of charge. Women live in Domi Ichinoe Ladies; men live in Dormy Itabashi-Honcho. Dorms are a short train ride away from the College. Students pay electricity, telephone, bedding, and other living expenses.

Japanese Language and Studies Program (JLSP):

Students may live in single rooms equipped with a bed, bath unit, kitchen, and internet connection in Setagayu-ku; they take the train to the campus in Ichigaya.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - In addition to paying UHM tuition, you are responsible for all living and travel expenses during your international exchange. Below are estimates of these expenses, for planning purposes only. Amounts listed below are for one semester, and will vary based on your individual needs and choices, as well as foreign exchange rate fluctuations.     

*College of Economics: Dormitory housing and two meals per day are provided to UHM students free of charge; students are responsible for utilities. College of Humanities & Sciences: Dormitory housing is provided at a highly subsidized cost; students must pay for their own meals and utilities. JLSP: Students must cover their own housing & meal costs.

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   

National Health Insurance Program - International students residing in Japan for one semester or one year may be required to enroll in this program through their host university in Japan. Japanese National Health Insurance may not be required if students purchase adequate health insurance in their home country.


What is a visa? A visa is an official stamp or document affixed within your passport that has been issued by a foreign government granting permission for entry into the country for a specific purpose.

MIX Students: It is your responsibility to obtain a student visa, if required. The information below is provided for reference purposes only; always consult your destination country's consulate website for the latest and most accurate information on visa requirements. Visa requirements may be different for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens.

Japan: The requirements for visas to Japan vary depending upon nationality (citizenship), purpose of trip, and length of stay. As a rule, applications must be submitted in person to the Japanese Consulate.

The Consulate General of Japan in Honolulu has a jurisdiction covering the State of Hawaii. Once you have a valid passport and the other required documents, you will need to visit the Consulate General of Japan at Honolulu and apply for a visa.

The Consulate General of Japan is located at 1742 Nuuanu Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96817 USA. Tel: 808-543-3111.

If you are studying abroad for a semester or year, please be sure to apply for a “College Student” status visa. It may not be possible to have your status changed later.

You will need at least the following documents when applying for your College Student status visa:

1. Visa application form with passport photos attached (download from Consulate General of Japan at Honolulu website).

2. Copy of Certificate of Admission to your host university in Japan. (This is a formal letter that will be sent directly to the MIX Office. You will receive an email when it is available for pick-up.)

3. Certificate of Eligibility (Will be sent directly to the MIX office about two months before your departure for Japan. You will receive an email when it is available for pick-up.)

4. Your valid passport

Residents of other states should contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulate that handles visas for your area.

Upon Arrival in Japan - When you arrive at the airport in Japan, you will go through an Immigration Inspection. Your passport and Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence will be checked, and your residence status and your formal period of stay will be decided.

Part-time work while studying in Japan - Exchange students who are granted the 'Student' status of residence may be permitted to work part-time while in Japan, as long as it does not affect their studies. To apply for permission, please fill out an "Application for Permission to Engage in Activities other than that Permitted under Status of Residence Previously Granted" when you apply for your visa.










Interactive MIX Map