Skip to main content

Keio University

Keio University


Tokyo, JAPAN

  • Students take classes on the Mita Campus, with the exception of MBA students, who take classes on the Hiyoshi campus in Yokohama.


  • Keio International Program (KIP) – Open to undergraduate students in all majors.  The main purpose of KIP is for students to attend Japanese Studies and/or International Studies Courses taught in English, and/or attend regular undergraduate courses taught in Japanese. There is no language requirement, but it is highly recommended that students learn at least some basic Japanese before coming to Japan. Academic fields include economics, business, politics, history, culture, area studies, and the global community.  
  • Japanese Language Program Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors. This program is for students who would like to focus on Japanese language learning.  The curriculum is designed to assist students in attaining the high level of Japanese proficiency required for research and other academic activities in specialized disciplines.  Additionally, students may choose to take optional International Center Courses taught in English. It is highly recommended that students learn at least some basic Japanese before coming to Japan.
  • Research Program – Open to graduate students in all majors. This program is for students who wish to conduct research under the supervision of an academic advisor at Keio University. 
  • Graduate School of Business Administration – Open to graduate MBA students only. Courses taught in English are offered in the fall and winter terms. Students with advanced proficiency in Japanese may also take courses taught in Japanese. School is AACSB Accredited.
  • Explore Academics at Keio University


Yes - A variety of International Studies Courses & Japanese Studies Courses are taught in English.



Spring Semester Late March - early August
Year Early September - early August (academic year)

Keio Graduate School of Business Administration:

Fall Semester Early September - late December
Spring Semester Early January - late March ("winter semester")
Year Early September to late March


Upon request, exchange students may be assigned to one of the dormitories subsidized by Keio University; students must apply before the deadline. Dormitories are located by the Hiyoshi Campus, which is approximately a 40-minute commute to the Mita Campus where students take classes. In some dormitories, weekday meals are included in the fee.  Housing information, including the application, will be sent to exchange students along with their official acceptance letters.
Arrange your own housing
Off-campus apartments are available; Keio University staff assists students in arranging accommodation.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - In addition to paying UHM tuition, you are responsible for all living and travel expenses during your international exchange. Below are estimates of these expenses, for planning purposes only. Amounts listed below are for one semester, and will vary based on your individual needs and choices, as well as foreign exchange rate fluctuations.       

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   

National Health Insurance Program - International students residing in Japan for one semester or one year may be required to enroll in this program through their host university in Japan. Japanese National Health Insurance may not be required if students purchase adequate health insurance in their home country.


What is a visa? A visa is an official stamp or document affixed within your passport that has been issued by a foreign government granting permission for entry into the country for a specific purpose.

MIX Students: It is your responsibility to obtain a student visa, if required. The information below is provided for reference purposes only; always consult your destination country's consulate website for the latest and most accurate information on visa requirements. Visa requirements may be different for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens.

Japan: The requirements for visas to Japan vary depending upon nationality (citizenship), purpose of trip, and length of stay. As a rule, applications must be submitted in person to the Japanese Consulate.

The Consulate General of Japan in Honolulu has a jurisdiction covering the State of Hawaii. Once you have a valid passport and the other required documents, you will need to visit the Consulate General of Japan at Honolulu and apply for a visa.

The Consulate General of Japan is located at 1742 Nuuanu Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96817 USA. Tel: 808-543-3111.

If you are studying abroad for a semester or year, please be sure to apply for a “College Student” status visa. It may not be possible to have your status changed later.

You will need at least the following documents when applying for your College Student status visa:

1. Visa application form with passport photos attached (download from Consulate General of Japan at Honolulu website).

2. Copy of Certificate of Admission to your host university in Japan. (This is a formal letter that will be sent directly to the MIX Office. You will receive an email when it is available for pick-up.)

3. Certificate of Eligibility (Will be sent directly to the MIX office about two months before your departure for Japan. You will receive an email when it is available for pick-up.)

4. Your valid passport

Residents of other states should contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulate that handles visas for your area.

Upon Arrival in Japan - When you arrive at the airport in Japan, you will go through an Immigration Inspection. Your passport and Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence will be checked, and your residence status and your formal period of stay will be decided.

Part-time work while studying in Japan - Exchange students who are granted the 'Student' status of residence may be permitted to work part-time while in Japan, as long as it does not affect their studies. To apply for permission, please fill out an "Application for Permission to Engage in Activities other than that Permitted under Status of Residence Previously Granted" when you apply for your visa.










Interactive MIX Map