Skip to main content

Ibaraki Christian University

Ibaraki Christian University


Tokyo, JAPAN

  • Ibaraki Christian University is located outside of the Tokyo metropolitan area.


Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors.

IC is a great fit for students with no or little Japanese language skills who are interested in teaching and cross-cultural exchange.

  • Academic areas at Ibaraki Christian:
    • Department of Contemporary English (DCE) - Exchange students may take classes taught in English in Education, Intercultural Communication, and World Childhood Studies.
    • Japanese Classes - Japanese language classes are offered through the IC Center for International Understanding.
    • Internship - This internship is a terrific opportunity for students in Education, Linguistics, SLS, or related fields. Interns will be supervised by IC staff and assisted by IC students. Students can participate in an internship for academic credit in either the Fall or Spring semester, and may take academic courses on the side for a total of 12 credits per semester.
      • Assisting teachers and participating in language and culture education during regular classes
      • Tutoring
      • Leading or participating in Chat Hour and other activities
      • Leading or participating in extracurricular activities such as sports, barbecues, and parties
      • Students will be expected to speak English during their intership, but will have opportunities to practice Japanese with their host families and elsewhere.
      • Internship Q & A
  • Explore Academics at Ibaraki Christian


Yes - the Department of Contemporary English (DCE) offers a variety of classes taught in English.


Fall Semester Internship Only: September - December
Spring Semester Early April - early August (with optional internship early April to late July)
Year Late September - early August (with optional internship early April to late July and/or September-December)


Arrange your own housing
Students staying for a semester or year may wish to stay with a host family for the first 2 or 3 months, and then rent an apartment for the rest of their stay.
Intership students typically stay with a Japanese homestay family. Students typically commute from their homestay to campus via train.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - In addition to paying UHM tuition, you are responsible for all living and travel expenses during your international exchange. Below are estimates of these expenses, for planning purposes only. Amounts listed below are for one semester, and will vary based on your individual needs and choices, as well as foreign exchange rate fluctuations.     

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   

National Health Insurance Program - International students residing in Japan for one semester or one year may be required to enroll in this program through their host university in Japan. Japanese National Health Insurance may not be required if students purchase adequate health insurance in their home country.


What is a visa? A visa is an official stamp or document affixed within your passport that has been issued by a foreign government granting permission for entry into the country for a specific purpose.

MIX Students: It is your responsibility to obtain a student visa, if required. The information below is provided for reference purposes only; always consult your destination country's consulate website for the latest and most accurate information on visa requirements. Visa requirements may be different for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens.

Japan: The requirements for visas to Japan vary depending upon nationality (citizenship), purpose of trip, and length of stay. As a rule, applications must be submitted in person to the Japanese Consulate.

The Consulate General of Japan in Honolulu has a jurisdiction covering the State of Hawaii. Once you have a valid passport and the other required documents, you will need to visit the Consulate General of Japan at Honolulu and apply for a visa.

The Consulate General of Japan is located at 1742 Nuuanu Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96817 USA. Tel: 808-543-3111.

If you are studying abroad for a semester or year, please be sure to apply for a “College Student” status visa. It may not be possible to have your status changed later.

You will need at least the following documents when applying for your College Student status visa:

1. Visa application form with passport photos attached (download from Consulate General of Japan at Honolulu website).

2. Copy of Certificate of Admission to your host university in Japan. (This is a formal letter that will be sent directly to the MIX Office. You will receive an email when it is available for pick-up.)

3. Certificate of Eligibility (Will be sent directly to the MIX office about two months before your departure for Japan. You will receive an email when it is available for pick-up.)

4. Your valid passport

Residents of other states should contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulate that handles visas for your area.

Upon Arrival in Japan - When you arrive at the airport in Japan, you will go through an Immigration Inspection. Your passport and Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence will be checked, and your residence status and your formal period of stay will be decided.

Part-time work while studying in Japan - Exchange students who are granted the 'Student' status of residence may be permitted to work part-time while in Japan, as long as it does not affect their studies. To apply for permission, please fill out an "Application for Permission to Engage in Activities other than that Permitted under Status of Residence Previously Granted" when you apply for your visa.










Interactive MIX Map