Skip to main content

University of French Polynesia

University of French Polynesia


Papeete, Tahiti, FRENCH POLYNESIA 


Open to undergraduate students in any major, who have advanced proficiency in French.

  • Academic areas at UPF: Humanities, Languages, Law, Economics, Management, Sciences, Medicine, Technology


Yes - There is a very small number of courses taught in English in the department of Humanities, Languages and Human Sciences. However, students should be prepared to take regular university courses taught in French.


Fall Semester Late August - mid January*
Spring Semester Mid January - mid June
Year Late August - mid June

*Note: If you receive financial aid, you may not study at UPF for just the Fall Semester. Doing so will render you ineligible for financial aid for the following spring semester at UHM.


Dormitories On-campus residence: Le Foyer des Jeunes filles a Paofai
Arrange your own housing Students may share an off-campus house or flat.
homestay Students may live with a host family.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - In addition to paying UHM tuition, you are responsible for all living and travel expenses during your international exchange. Below are estimates of these expenses, for planning purposes only. Amounts listed below are for one semester, and will vary based on your individual needs and choices, as well as foreign exchange rate fluctuations.    

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX 


What is a visa? A visa is an official stamp or document affixed within your passport that has been issued by a foreign government granting permission for entry into the country for a specific purpose.

MIX Students: It is your responsibility to obtain a student visa, if required. The information below is provided for reference purposes only; always consult your destination country's consulate website for the latest and most accurate information on visa requirements. Visa requirements may be different for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens.

French Polynesia: Exchange students need to apply for a student visa after receiving an official letter of admission from UPF. Your passport must be valid for six months beyond the duration of your stay in French Polynesia. To apply for a student visa, students in Hawaii may contact:

French Consulate in Honolulu
1712 Liliha Street, Room 204
P.O. Box 22009
Honolulu, HI 96823-2009
Phone: (808) 457-4156










Interactive MIX Map