Skip to main content

Anglo-American University




Few cities in Europe can compete with Prague’s unique combination of easy access, a thriving international community, and intrinsic beauty.  With its cobbled streets, stunning palaces, parks and gardens, it justly deserves its listing as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, while its numerous cozy cafes and excellent public transport make for an unforgettable experience.

Anglo-American University, founded in 1990, is the oldest private institution of higher education in the Czech Republic. It is a noted center of academic excellence where students from all over the world come to pursue academic study in a setting that encourages intellectual curiosity, leadership, cooperation and respect for cultural and national diversity. 


Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors.

  • Academic areas at AAU (undergraduate): Business Administration, Marketing & Communication, Humanities, Society & Culture, Politics & Society, Jewish Studies, International Relations, European Studies, Journalism
  • Academic areas at AAU (graduate): Business, Law, Humanities, Public Policy, International Relations & Diplomacy
  • Exchange students may also take classes in Prague Art & Architecture, European History, and Czech Language.
  • Explore AAU Academic Areas


Yes - The language of instruction at AAU is English. 


Fall Semester Late August - mid December
Spring Semester Early February - late May
Year Students may study at AAU for two consecutive semesters, starting in the fall or spring.
Summer See MIX Summer Programs for dates.


Arrange your own housing
AAU has an established network of landlords and agencies for comfortable apartments in Prague. Students can expect a 15-25 minute commute to the university (walk, bike, or bus). Exchange student applicants will receive a housing list from AAU.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - In addition to paying UHM tuition, you are responsible for all living and travel expenses during your international exchange. Below are estimates of these expenses, for planning purposes only. Amounts listed below are for one semester, and will vary based on your individual needs and choices, as well as foreign exchange rate fluctuations.    

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX 


What is a visa? A visa is an official stamp or document affixed within your passport that has been issued by a foreign government granting permission for entry into the country for a specific purpose.

MIX Students: It is your responsibility to obtain a student visa, if required. The information below is provided for reference purposes only; always consult your destination country's consulate website for the latest and most accurate information on visa requirements. Visa requirements may be different for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens.

Czech Republic: The Czech Republic is part of the Schengen Borders Agreement. Exchange students going to AAU may apply for a 6-month Student Visa prior to departure for the Czech Republic. Hawaii students may apply through the Consulate General of the Czech Republic in Los Angeles. Exchange students going to AAU for a semester or a year may apply for a Residence Permit upon arrival to the Czech Republic.










Interactive MIX Map