Skip to main content

Zhejiang University

Zhejiang University


Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, CHINA


Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors.

  • Academic areas at Zhejiang: International Studies, Humanities, Social Sciences, Science, Engineering, Information Technology, Medicine, and Agriculture. Exchange students may also study Chinese Language (Elementary, Intermediate, and Advanced levels are offered), and Chinese Culture at ZJU.
  • Explore Zhejiang Faculties, Schools, and Departments


Yes - Courses taught in English are offered in the School of International Studies (Faculty of Humanities). A limited number of courses taught in English may be offered in other academic areas.


Fall Semester Mid September - mid November
Spring Semester Late February - late April
Mid September - late April (academic year). Students may participate in the Winter Semester (Nov - Jan).
Summer See MIX Summer Programs for dates.


Exchange students may live in on-campus dormitories on the Yuquan Campus. There are many cafeterias located on-campus, and students can purchase a pre-paid Meal Card.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - In addition to paying UHM tuition, you are responsible for all living and travel expenses during your international exchange. Below are estimates of these expenses, for planning purposes only. Amounts listed below are for one semester, and will vary based on your individual needs and choices, as well as foreign exchange rate fluctuations.   

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX  


What is a visa? A visa is an official stamp or document affixed within your passport that has been issued by a foreign government granting permission for entry into the country for a specific purpose.

MIX Students: It is your responsibility to obtain a student visa, if required. The information below is provided for reference purposes only; always consult your destination country's consulate website for the latest and most accurate information on visa requirements. Visa requirements may be different for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens.

China: Exchange students must apply for a visa to China prior to departure. Students going to China for an academic year may apply for an X1 Visa, and will also need to apply for a Residence Permit within 30 days of arrival in China. Students going to China for one semester may apply for an X2 Visa; please note that the X2 Visa only allows for a single entry into mainland China. Semester-long students who enter on an X2 visa but decide to extend their international exchange to one year will need to apply for a Residence Permit in China.

The Chinese Consulate with jurisdiction over Hawaii is located in Los Angeles, CA. Currently, the L.A. Consulate does not accept visa applications through the mail. As such, you will either need to appear in person at the L.A. Consulate, or use a private service that can apply on your behalf. Private companies that can assist with the procurement of X visas to China are:

  • East West Global Tours Corp (Address: 1110 University Ave., Suite 305; Phone: 808-943-0898; Email:
  • Four Seasons Holiday Inc. (Address: 2375 Ala Wai Blvd.; Phone: 808-926-3109)
  • Air & Sea Travel (Address: Kukui Plaza, 50 S. Beretania St.; Phone 808-951-9800)
  • World Connection Hawaii (Address: 860 Halekauwila; Phone: 808-391-7518; Email:
  • (Contact Michael Cordova at 415-644-5728)










Interactive MIX Map