Skip to main content

Fudan University

Fudan University


Shanghai, CHINA


Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors.

  • Academic areas at Fudan: Chinese Language & Culture, Chinese History & Culture, Chinese Economy, Chinese Society, Chinese Politics & Diplomacy, Chinese Philosophy and Culture, Chinese Business Law, and Chinese Government & Governance
  • Note to Business Students: This university is AACSB accredited.
  • Explore Fudan University Schools and Departments
  • Optional internship opportunity with Absolute Internship. Internships are not for academic credit, and there are extra costs involved. Internships are to be taken alongside your full course load at Fudan.


Yes - Undergraduate areas offering courses taught in English are: Chinese Language & Culture, Chinese History & Culture, Chinese Economy, Chinese Society, Chinese Politics & Diplomacy, Chinese Philosophy and Culture, Chinese Business Law, and Chinese Government & Governance.

Graduate programs taught in English are: MBA, International Politics, and Global Media & Communication.



Fall Semester September - January*
Spring Semester February - July
Year September - July (academic year)
Summer See MIX Summer Programs for dates.

*Note: If you receive financial aid, you may not study at Fudan University for just the Fall Semester. Doing so will render you ineligible for financial aid for the following spring semester at UHM.


Accommodations are available in the Foreign Students Dormitory. Single and Double rooms are available, with shared kitchens. There is a cafeteria and a gym next to the dormitory building.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - In addition to paying UHM tuition, you are responsible for all living and travel expenses during your international exchange. Below are estimates of these expenses, for planning purposes only. Amounts listed below are for one semester, and will vary based on your individual needs and choices, as well as foreign exchange rate fluctuations.     

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX 


What is a visa? A visa is an official stamp or document affixed within your passport that has been issued by a foreign government granting permission for entry into the country for a specific purpose.

MIX Students: It is your responsibility to obtain a student visa, if required. The information below is provided for reference purposes only; always consult your destination country's consulate website for the latest and most accurate information on visa requirements. Visa requirements may be different for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens.

China: Exchange students must apply for a visa to China prior to departure. Students going to China for an academic year may apply for an X1 Visa, and will also need to apply for a Residence Permit within 30 days of arrival in China. Students going to China for one semester may apply for an X2 Visa; please note that the X2 Visa only allows for a single entry into mainland China. Semester-long students who enter on an X2 visa but decide to extend their international exchange to one year will need to apply for a Residence Permit in China.

The Chinese Consulate with jurisdiction over Hawaii is located in Los Angeles, CA. Currently, the L.A. Consulate does not accept visa applications through the mail. As such, you will either need to appear in person at the L.A. Consulate, or use a private service that can apply on your behalf. Private companies that can assist with the procurement of X visas to China are:

  • East West Global Tours Corp (Address: 1110 University Ave., Suite 305; Phone: 808-943-0898; Email:
  • Four Seasons Holiday Inc. (Address: 2375 Ala Wai Blvd.; Phone: 808-926-3109)
  • Air & Sea Travel (Address: Kukui Plaza, 50 S. Beretania St.; Phone 808-951-9800)
  • World Connection Hawaii (Address: 860 Halekauwila; Phone: 808-391-7518; Email:
  • (Contact Michael Cordova at 415-644-5728)











Interactive MIX Map