Skip to main content


Hong Kong University of Science and Technology


Hong Kong, CHINA


Open to undergraduate Business majors only.

  • Academic areas at HKUST: Global Business, Economics, Finance, Information Systems, Management, Marketing, Operations Management, Professional Accounting. Exchange students may take courses outside of business if they meet the pre-requisites, and if there is seat availability. Enrollment is subject to professor approval in some courses.
  • Note to Business Students: This university is AACSB accredited.
  • Explore HKUST Academic Areas & HKUST Course Catalogs
  • Optional internship opportunity with Absolute Internship. Internships are not for academic credit, and there are extra costs involved. Internships are to be taken alongside your full course load at HKUST.




Fall Semester Mid August - late December
Spring Semester Mid January - late May
Year Students may study at HKUST for two consecutive semesters, starting in the fall or spring.
Summer See MIX Summer Programs for dates.


Exchange-in students will have accommodation on-campus depending on availability.  Dorms are co-ed, but rooms are same-sex. Most rooms are doubles. All rooms have wireless internet access.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - In addition to paying UHM tuition, you are responsible for all living and travel expenses during your international exchange. Below are estimates of these expenses, for planning purposes only. Amounts listed below are for one semester, and will vary based on your individual needs and choices, as well as foreign exchange rate fluctuations.    

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   


What is a visa? A visa is an official stamp or document affixed within your passport that has been issued by a foreign government granting permission for entry into the country for a specific purpose.

MIX Students: It is your responsibility to obtain a student visa, if required. The information below is provided for reference purposes only; always consult your destination country's consulate website for the latest and most accurate information on visa requirements. Visa requirements may be different for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens.

Hong Kong: Exchange students need to apply for a student visa prior to departure for Hong Kong. Please refer to the Hong Kong Immigration Department website for details on obtaining a Hong Kong Visa for Study. Typically, exchange students apply for the student visa to Hong Kong through the international office at their overseas university.

Note: All exchange students going to HKUST may route their student visa applications through the Global Students Office at HKUST for handling. More details on this procedure will be provided to exchange students in an information packet sent by HKUST.










Interactive MIX Map