Skip to main content

ISTI Haute Ecole de Bruxelles

Haute Ecole de Bruxelles - ISTI


Brussels, BELGIUM


Open to undergraduate students in any major, who have advanced proficiency in French.

  • ISTI is an excellent fit for French majors!
  • Academic areas at ISTI: Students take classes at the Institut Supérieur de Traducteurs et Interprètes (ISTI), in areas such as translation, interpretation, literature, and international relations. ISTI offers translation studies in 9 languages, including Turkish, Dutch, Arabic, and Chinese, plus courses in the history and literature of Belgium.


No - the primary language of instruction at this institution is French. Students should already have advanced proficiency in the French language when they begin this program.


Fall Semester Mid September - mid January*
Spring Semester Mid January - late June
Year Students are encouraged to spend the entire academic year (mid September - late June) at ISTI Brussells.

*If you receive financial aid, you may not study at ISTI Brussells for just the Fall Semester. Doing so will render you ineligible for financial aid for the following spring semester at UHM.


Arrange your own housing
ISTI will assist exchange students in finding housing accommodations near campus.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - In addition to paying UHM tuition, you are responsible for all living and travel expenses during your international exchange. Below are estimates of these expenses, for planning purposes only. Amounts listed below are for one semester, and will vary based on your individual needs and choices, as well as foreign exchange rate fluctuations.    

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   


What is a visa? A visa is an official stamp or document affixed within your passport that has been issued by a foreign government granting permission for entry into the country for a specific purpose.

MIX Students: It is your responsibility to obtain a student visa, if required. The information below is provided for reference purposes only; always consult your destination country's consulate website for the latest and most accurate information on visa requirements. Visa requirements may be different for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens.

Belgium: Belgium is part of the Schengen Borders Agreement. Hawaii residents can apply for their student visa by mail through the Consulate General of Belgium in Los Angeles. You must apply for your visa at least 4 weeks prior to travel to Belgium, but no earlier than 3 months prior to travel.










Interactive MIX Map