Skip to main content

Deakin University

Deakin University


Melbourne, AUSTRALIA


Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors.

  • Academic areas at Deakin University: Arts & Education, Business & Law, Health, and Science & Technology. Deakin is an especially great fit for students in the Social Sciences (Political Science, International Relations, Communications), Visual Arts & Media Studies, Education & Children's Literature, and Marine Sciences.
  • Explore Academics at Deakin University
  • Global Citizenship Program - Exchange students in any academic area can join this exciting program during their international exchange at Deakin University.


Yes - English is the official language of instruction at Deakin University, and the primary language spoken in Australia.


Fall Semester Mid July - mid November ("2nd Semester")
Spring Semester Mid February - late June ("1st Semester")
Students may study at Deakin University for two consecutive semesters, starting in the fall or spring.


Exchange students may apply for pre-arranged housing in Deakin University on-campus Residences, or in Deakin's off-campus residences (several options).
Arrange your own housing
Students may arrange their own off-campus housing.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees while on exchange.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay the overseas university's tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - In addition to paying UHM tuition, you are responsible for all living and travel expenses during your international exchange. Below are estimates of these expenses, for planning purposes only. Amounts listed below are for one semester, and will vary based on your individual needs and choices, as well as foreign exchange rate fluctuations.      

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX


What is a visa? A visa is an official stamp or document affixed within your passport that has been issued by a foreign government granting permission for entry into the country for a specific purpose.

MIX Students: It is your responsibility to obtain a student visa, if required. The information below is provided for reference purposes only; always consult your destination country's consulate website for the latest and most accurate information on visa requirements. Visa requirements may be different for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens.

Australia: Exchange students must apply for a student visa to Australia prior to departure. Once you receive an official electronic Confirmation of Enrollment (eCOE) from your host university in Australia, apply for a visa online at Australian Government Visa Services.










Interactive MIX Map