Skip to main content




This information is for Outbound UHM Students. Here's what you need to know before you go abroad. Click a topic below to expand.

Academic Planning

You must meet with your UHM Academic Advisor(s) to discuss how the transfer credits you earn on MIX can be applied towards your major and minor degree requirements. For this purpose, you may use the MIX Academic Advising Worksheet.

MIX Pre-Departure Form

MIX Pre-Departure Form - Complete this online form once you have been officially nominated to an overseas university. Required.

Health Insurance

MIX will require all outbound participants to purchase standard overseas insurance coverage for their time abroad. MIX is currently revising our policy on insurance requirements. Please check back here soon for more details about the insurance policy and pricing.

Financial Aid

If you completed the FAFSA and use financial aid, please read the MIX Financial Aid Information

Partner University Requirements

There may be paperwork required by your partner university prior to arrival, such as Housing Applications, Housing Deposits, Course Pre-Registration Forms, Arrival Information Forms, etc.

This is your responsibility. Be sure to complete any paperwork or online documents required by the Partner University on time!

MyUH Registration

MIX PLACEHOLDER COURSE - Prior to departure, you must register for the MIX Placeholder Course or an approved related course in the MyUH Portal. This enables you to continue to be a full time registered UHM tuition-paying student while you are abroad. MIX will email you the appropriate CRN to register for IS-099 or a related course.

SEMESTER - It is mandatory for you to register in MyUH for the MIX Placeholder course or an approved related course prior to departure. Please note that the MIX Placeholder Course (IS-099) is 'variable credit' and defaults to one credit. You must manually increase the credits in MyUH: 12 credits for Undergraduates, 8 credits for Graduates.

SUMMER - If you are paying UHM Tuition, it is mandatory for you to register for the MIX Placeholder course for the same number of credits as you will take abroad (typically 3-10 credits, depending on your MIX Summer Program). If you are paying Partner University Tuition, you do not need to register for the MIX Placeholder Course in MyUH.

REGISTRATION AT YOUR OVERSEAS UNIVERSITY - Registration for courses at your overseas university typically takes place when you arrive, during the international student orientation. Some partner universities will ask you to fill out pre-registration forms before you arrive.

When your overseas courses transfer in, they will appear in MyUH on your Transfer Report. At that time, the credits for the MIX Placeholder Course will be removed.

MIX Pre-Departure Orientation

ATTEND MIX PRE-DEPARTURE ORIENTATION - There is a mandatory group orientation for all students going abroad on MIX. At orientation, we will cover your pre-departure responsibilities in detail, making sure that everyone is on track to go abroad. After that, a panel of Returnees will share their advice with you on a variety of important topics. Finally, you will have time to mingle with other students going abroad, based on geographic area.

The next Orientation for Spring 2017 Outbound Students is:

Monday, Nov 14, 2016, 1:00-4:00 PM
Location: Crawford 115 (CR 115)

Going abroad this spring? View a Self-Guided Version of the MIX Pre-Departure Orientation.