Skip to main content



Bergen, NORWAY

University of Bergen Campus Map


Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors.

Academic areas: Humanities, Law, Mathematics & Natural Sciences, Medicine & Dentistry, Psychology, and Social Sciences. See all UB Faculties

Courses numbered 200 and 300 are considered upper-level courses. 100 level are beginners courses. Note: 1 ECTS credit = .6 semester credits (5 ECTS = 3 UHM credits). 30 ECTS / 18 semester credits is considered a normal courseload.


Yes - Some courses in the humanities & arts, social sciences, natural sciences, technololgy, law, and psychology are taught in English. Courses for Exchange Students (taught in English)



Fall Semester Mid August - mid December
Spring Semester Early January - mid June
Year Students may study at the University of Bergen for two consecutive semesters, starting in the fall or spring.


DormitoriesArrange your own housing
The University of Bergen provides housing accommodations to exchange students through the Student Welfare Organisation in Bergen (SiB). SiB has more than 3,000 accommodation units, which are mainly single or double rooms where tenents share a bathroom and a kitchen. Accommodations are comfortable and not far from campus. There are several cafeterias and a cafe on campus.

More Information on UB Housing for Exchange Students


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - You are responsible for all living expenses, including health insurance, books/supplies, room & meals, personal expenses, airfare, local transportation, and any costs associated with obtaining a visa (if applicable). Below are estimates for planning purposes only; amounts are listed per semester, and will vary based on your individual needs.    

  • Health Insurance: $200-400
  • Books & Supplies: $300-500
  • Room & Meals: $6,000-8,000
  • Personal Expenses: $2,000-3,000
  • Airfare & Local Transportation: $2,000-3,000
  • Visa Expenses: $430-530 (Residence Permit)

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   

University of Bergen housing and living cost estimates are given in the 'Your Guide' Brochure.


Residence Permit Information - Norway is part of the Schengen Borders Agreement. U.S. citizens have a visa exemption to Norway; only a valid passport is needed to enter. Please see Norwegian Directorate of Immigration for more information on Norway's visa requirements. International students must have a Study Residence Permit while staying in Norway. As a general rule, exchange students should apply for a a Residence Permit before arriving in Norway.


MIX by Major


Financial Aid & Scholarships


Outbound FAQs


Pre-Departure Information


Returnee Information


Apply Now

University of BergenUniversity of Bergen