Skip to main content



Shinjuku, Tokyo, JAPAN

Waseda University Campus Map

MIX Japan Map

MIX Tokyo Map


Intensive Japanese Language Program (IJLP) - Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors. Participants must have strong motivation to learn Japanese. While Japanese language proficiency is not required, it is helpful if students have at least some experience with the language. The Intensive Japanese Langauge Program boasts more than 500 Japanese language volunteers dedicated to helping students increase their proficiency.

Liberal Studies Program (SILS) - Open to undergraduate students in all majors. Yearlong program for students who have completed at least one semester of Japanese language instruction. Students take a Japanese language course, plus other courses taught in English in areas of Asian culture, history, society, politics, economy, geography, arts, and literature.

Direct Enrollment - Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors, who have advanced proficiency in Japanese. Students may take regular university courses taught in Japanese. Most, but not all, areas of study are open to exchange students. Several faculties at Waseda University have English curriculums:

  • School of Political Science and Economics
  • School of Social Sciences
  • School of Fundamental Science and Engineering
  • School of Creative Science and Engineering
  • School of Advanced Science and Engineering
  • School of International Liberal Studies (SILS)


Yes - the Liberal Studies Program (SILS) offers many courses taught in English.




Year Mid September - early August (academic year)

Direct Enrollment:

Spring Semester Late March - early August
Year Mid September - early August (academic year)


Waseda University offers various off-campus dormitories. Dorms are located a 10-15 minute walk from campus.
Homestays are available; students can expect a longer commute (1-1.5 hours) from their homestay to campus.

More information on Housing at Waseda University, including a housing brochure and a video


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - You are responsible for all living expenses, including health insurance, books/supplies, room & meals, personal expenses, airfare, local transportation, and any costs associated with obtaining a visa (if applicable). Below are estimates for planning purposes only; amounts are listed per semester, and will vary based on your individual needs.    

  • Health Insurance: $100-300
  • Books & Supplies: $300-500
  • Room & Meals: $5,600-7,000
  • Personal Expenses: $1,500-2,500
  • Airfare & Local Transportation: $1,400-2,000
  • Visa Expenses: $0

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   

National Health Insurance Program - International students residing in Japan for one semester or one year may be required to enroll in this program through their host university in Japan. Japanese National Health Insurance may not be required if students purchase adequate health insurance in their home country.


Language Partners & Cultural Exchange - Exchange students can sign up for a language partner at the Waseda University International Community Center (ICC)

Visa Information - The requirements for visas vary depending upon nationality (citizenship), purpose of trip, and length of stay. As a rule, applications must be submitted in person to the Japanese Consulate. The Consulate General of Japan in Honolulu has a jurisdiction covering the State of Hawaii and American Samoa. If visa applicants reside outside State of Hawaii or American Samoa, please contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulate that handles visas for your area.

Once you have a valid passport and the other required documents, you will need to visit the Consulate General of Japan at Honolulu and apply for a VISA. The Consulate General of Japan is located at 1742 Nuuanu Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96817 USA. Tel: 808-543-3111.

If you are studying abroad for a semester or year, please be sure to apply for a “College Student” status VISA. It is a very difficult and sometimes impossible to get your status changed later.

You will need at least the following documents when applying for your College Student status VISA:

1. Visa application form with passport photos attached (download from Consulate General website).

2. Copy of Certificate of Admission to your host university in Japan. (This is a formal letter that will be sent directly to the MIX Office. You will receive an email when it is available for pick-up.)

3. Certificate of Eligibility (Issued about two months before your departure for Japan)

4. Your valid passport

Upon Arrival in Japan - When you arrive at the airport in Japan, you will go through an Immigration Inspection. Your passport and Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence will be checked, and your residence status and your formal period of stay will be decided.

Part-time work while studying in Japan - Exchange students who are granted the 'Student' status of residence may be permitted to work part-time (up to 28 hours per week) while in Japan, as long as it does not affect their studies. To apply for permission, please fill out an "Application for Permission to Engage in Activities other than that Permitted under Status of Residence Previously Granted" when you apply for your visa. More information is available at the Immigration Bureau in Japan website.


MIX by Major


Financial Aid & Scholarships


Outbound FAQs


Pre-Departure Information


Returnee Information


Apply Now



Waseda UniversityWaseda University