Skip to main content



Tokyo, JAPAN

MIX Japan Map

MIX Tokyo Map

Sophia University has four campuses: Yotsuya (main), Mejiro Seibo, Ichigaya, Shakujii. The main Yotsuya Campus is an urban campus, consisting of about 25 large, modern buildings in the center of Tokyo.


Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors.

Academic areas: Undergraduate exchange students may study at the Sophia University Faculty of Liberal Arts. Curriculum for exchange students is based solely in Japanese Language and Culture Studies. The program is open to students at all levels of Japanese language ability.

Graduate exchange students may take classes in the Graduate Program in Global Studies.


Yes - the Faculty of Liberal Arts offers many courses taught in English. Subject areas include Comparative Literature, International Business and Economics, Social Studies, Japanese langauge, Japanese Studies, International Relations, and Global Studies.

Faculty of Liberal Arts courses taught in English

Courses in the Graduate Program in Global Studies are taught in English.



Spring Semester Early April - late July
Year Mid September - late July (academic year)
Summer See MIX Summer Programs for dates.

Sophia University Academic Calendar for Exchange Students


Sophia has several off-campus dormitories and affiliated dormitories for students in and around the Tokyo area. Students should expect a 20 to 60 minute commuting time to the Sophia campus. 

Sophia University Housing List

More information on housing options at Sophia University


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - You are responsible for all living expenses, including health insurance, books/supplies, room & meals, personal expenses, airfare, local transportation, and any costs associated with obtaining a visa (if applicable). Below are estimates for planning purposes only; amounts are listed per semester, and will vary based on your individual needs.    

  • Health Insurance: $100-300
  • Books & Supplies: $300-500
  • Room & Meals: $5,600-7,000
  • Personal Expenses: $1,500-2,500
  • Airfare & Local Transportation: $1,400-2,000
  • Visa Expenses: $0

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   

National Health Insurance Program - International students residing in Japan for one semester or one year may be required to enroll in this program through their host university in Japan. Japanese National Health Insurance may not be required if students purchase adequate health insurance in their home country.

More info on living expenses at Sophia University - Depending on the type of housing you choose, housing will cost anywhere from 310,000 to 370,000 yen per semester. Students should expect to spend about 60,000 yen per month on meals; 50,000 yen per semester on books, 10,000 yen per month on transportation, and 30,000 yen per month on personal expenses. More Information on Sophia University housing and living expense estimates


Visa Information - The requirements for visas vary depending upon nationality (citizenship), purpose of trip, and length of stay. As a rule, applications must be submitted in person to the Japanese Consulate. The Consulate General of Japan in Honolulu has a jurisdiction covering the State of Hawaii and American Samoa. If visa applicants reside outside State of Hawaii or American Samoa, please contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulate that handles visas for your area.

Once you have a valid passport and the other required documents, you will need to visit the Consulate General of Japan at Honolulu and apply for a VISA. The Consulate General of Japan is located at 1742 Nuuanu Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96817 USA. Tel: 808-543-3111.

If you are studying abroad for a semester or year, please be sure to apply for a “College Student” status VISA. It is a very difficult and sometimes impossible to get your status changed later.

You will need at least the following documents when applying for your College Student status VISA:

1. Visa application form with passport photos attached (download from Consulate General website).

2. Copy of Certificate of Admission to your host university in Japan. (This is a formal letter that will be sent directly to the MIX Office. You will receive an email when it is available for pick-up.)

3. Certificate of Eligibility (Issued about two months before your departure for Japan)

4. Your valid passport

Upon Arrival in Japan - When you arrive at the airport in Japan, you will go through an Immigration Inspection. Your passport and Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence will be checked, and your residence status and your formal period of stay will be decided.

Part-time work while studying in Japan - Exchange students who are granted the 'Student' status of residence may be permitted to work part-time (up to 28 hours per week) while in Japan, as long as it does not affect their studies. To apply for permission, please fill out an "Application for Permission to Engage in Activities other than that Permitted under Status of Residence Previously Granted" when you apply for your visa. More information is available at the Immigration Bureau in Japan website.


MIX by Major


Financial Aid & Scholarships


Outbound FAQs


Pre-Departure Information


Returnee Information


Apply Now



Sophia University Sophia University