Skip to main content



Hiroshima, JAPAN 

Main campus is located in Higashi-Hiroshima, situated in a basin about 45 minutes east of Hiroshima City. 

MIX Japan Map


Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors.

Academic areas: This university is an especially good fit for students who want an intensive focus on Japanese language. There are four types of classes offered at Hiroshima University:

  • Special Courses: Taught in English, and specifically designed for visiting exchange students
  • Integrated Courses: Taught in English or Japanese with supplemental material in English
  • Japanese Language & Japanese Studies Courses: Instruction in Japanese language, culture, and society.  These courses are offered by the Hiroshima University International Center.  Students’ level of Japanese language is determined by a placement test taken prior to course registration
  • Other courses: Students with fairly advanced Japanese language skills are able to enroll in regular undergraduate or graduate courses offered by Hiroshima City University. 
Academics at Hiroshima University


Yes - Special Courses & Integrated Courses are taught in English.


Spring Semester Early April - late July
Year Early October - late July (academic year)

Hiroshima University Academic Calendar


Exchange students will be accommodated at the Ikenoue Student Dormitory, unless they wish to look for private off-campus apartments. Dormitory housing is affordable, and guaranteed for exchange students (no housing application necessary).

More information on Housing at Hiroshima University


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - You are responsible for all living expenses, including health insurance, books/supplies, room & meals, personal expenses, airfare, local transportation, and any costs associated with obtaining a visa (if applicable). Below are estimates for planning purposes only; amounts are listed per semester, and will vary based on your individual needs.    

  • Health Insurance: $100-300
  • Books & Supplies: $150-250
  • Room & Meals: $4,200-5,200
  • Personal Expenses: $1,500-2,500
  • Airfare & Local Transportation: $1,400-2,000
  • Visa Expenses: $0

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   

National Health Insurance Program - International students residing in Japan for one semester or one year may be required to enroll in this program through their host university in Japan. Japanese National Health Insurance may not be required if students purchase adequate health insurance in their home country.

Estimates of Housing Costs at Hiroshima University


Tutor & Conversation Partners - Visiting exchange students to Hiroshima University will be assigned a “Tutor”, who is an undergraduate or graduate student at Hiroshima University who sill actively help you to get oriented.  Some tutors speak some English, while others can only converse in Japanese.  You can also apply for a “Conversation Partner” at the International Center.  

In addition to academic instruction, many students participate in Clubs.  There is a variety of clubs, such as sports clubs, art clubs, music clubs, and cultural circles.

Globalization Support Internship - Students with advanced Japanese Language skills may participate in a research internship for academic credit. The internship is supervised by a HU faculty member.

HU Summer Seminar - Exchange students may participate i a one-week seminar on Peace Studies following the spring semester (early August)

Visa Information - The requirements for visas vary depending upon nationality (citizenship), purpose of trip, and length of stay. As a rule, applications must be submitted in person to the Japanese Consulate. The Consulate General of Japan in Honolulu has a jurisdiction covering the State of Hawaii and American Samoa. If visa applicants reside outside State of Hawaii or American Samoa, please contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulate that handles visas for your area.

Once you have a valid passport and the other required documents, you will need to visit the Consulate General of Japan at Honolulu and apply for a VISA. The Consulate General of Japan is located at 1742 Nuuanu Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96817 USA. Tel: 808-543-3111.

If you are studying abroad for a semester or year, please be sure to apply for a “College Student” status VISA. It is a very difficult and sometimes impossible to get your status changed later.

You will need at least the following documents when applying for your College Student status VISA:

1. Visa application form with passport photos attached (download from Consulate General website).

2. Copy of Certificate of Admission to your host university in Japan. (This is a formal letter that will be sent directly to the MIX Office. You will receive an email when it is available for pick-up.)

3. Certificate of Eligibility (Issued about two months before your departure for Japan)

4. Your valid passport

Upon Arrival in Japan - When you arrive at the airport in Japan, you will go through an Immigration Inspection. Your passport and Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence will be checked, and your residence status and your formal period of stay will be decided.

Part-time work while studying in Japan - Exchange students who are granted the 'Student' status of residence may be permitted to work part-time (up to 28 hours per week) while in Japan, as long as it does not affect their studies. To apply for permission, please fill out an "Application for Permission to Engage in Activities other than that Permitted under Status of Residence Previously Granted" when you apply for your visa. More information is available at the Immigration Bureau in Japan website.


MIX by Major


Financial Aid & Scholarships


Outbound FAQs


Pre-Departure Information


Returnee Information


Apply Now

Hiroshima University Hiroshima University