Skip to main content



Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, CHINA

About the city of Hangzhou

Zhejiang University Campus Map


Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors.

Academic areas: International Studies, Humanities, Social Sciences, Science, Engineering, Information Technology, Medicine, and Agriculture. Exchange students may also study Chinese Language (Elementary, Intermediate, and Advanced levels are offered), and Chinese Culture at ZJU.

Explore all ZJU Faculties, Schools, and Departments


Yes - Courses taught in English are offered in the School of International Studies (Faculty of Humanities). A limited number of courses taught in English may be offered in other academic areas.


Fall Semester Mid September - mid November
Spring Semester Late February - late April
Mid September - late April (academic year). Students may participate in the Winter Semester (Nov - Jan).
Summer See MIX Summer Programs for dates.

Zhejiang University Academic Calendars


Exchange students may live in on-campus dormitories on the Yuquan Campus. There are many cafeterias located on-campus, and students can purchase a pre-paid Meal Card.

Zhejiang University Housing


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - You are responsible for all living expenses, including health insurance, books/supplies, room & meals, personal expenses, airfare, local transportation, and any costs associated with obtaining a visa (if applicable). Below are estimates for planning purposes only; amounts are listed per semester, and will vary based on your individual needs.    

  • Health Insurance: $200-400
  • Books & Supplies: $200-400
  • Room & Meals: $2,800-3,800
  • Personal Expenses: $1,000-1,500
  • Airfare & Local Transportation: $1,200-1,600
  • Visa Expenses: $310-350

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   


Visa Information: Outbound exchange students must apply for a visa to China prior to departure.

Students going to China for an academic year should apply for an X1 Visa, and will also need to apply for a Residence Permit within 30 days of arrival in China. Students going to China for one semester may apply for an X2 Visa; please note that the X2 Visa only allows for a single entry into mainland China. Semester-long students who enter on an X2 visa but decide to extend their international exchange to one year will need to apply for a Residence Permit in China.

The fee for X visas is $130 for U.S. citizens; processing time is approximately 4 days (subject to change).

The Chinese Consulate with jurisdiction over Hawaii is located in Los Angeles, CA. Currently, the L.A. Consulate does not accept visa applications through the mail. As such, students will either need to appear in person at the L.A. Consulate, or use a private service that can apply on their behalf (fees vary between $175 and $190; processing time is several weeks).

The L.A. Consulate General of China reported that students will need a JW 201 or 202 form, Letter of Admission from university in China, valid passport, visa application form, and one photo (2"x2"). These requirements are subject to change; students should always refer to the consulate website for the most recent requirements. Students who have traveled to China before may need to show their previous visas as well. Requirements and fees may differ for non U.S. citizens.

Private companies that can assist with the procurement of X visas to China are:

  • East West Global Tours Corp (Address: 1110 University Ave., Suite 305; Phone: 808-943-0898; Email:
  • Four Seasons Holiday Inc. (Address: 2375 Ala Wai Blvd.; Phone: 808-926-3109)
  • Air & Sea Travel (Address: Kukui Plaza, 50 S. Beretania St.; Phone 808-951-9800)
  • World Connection Hawaii (Address: 860 Halekauwila; Phone: 808-391-7518; Email:
  • (Contact Michael Cordova at 415-644-5728)

For additional information on student visas to China, see NAFSA Education Abroad Visa Help.


MIX by Major


Financial Aid & Scholarships


Outbound FAQs


Pre-Departure Information


Returnee Information


Apply Now

Zhejiang UniversityZhejiang University