Skip to main content



Vancouver, CANADA

MIX students from UHM can study at Capilano University's main campus in North Vancouver. The University is nestled on the slopes of the North Shore and is only a 20-minute drive from downtown VancoSuver. The beauty of its natural environment and the quality of education attract students from around the world. It is located in the beautiful thriving community of Sqamish, known as the Outdoor Recreation Capital of Canada.

Capilano University Campus Map


Open to undergraduate students majoring in Travel Industry Management (TIM).

Academic areas: The Faculty of Global & Community Studies includes Global Stewardship, Human Kinetics, Outdoor Recreation Management, Tourism Management, and Public Administration


Yes - English is the official language of instruction at Capilano University, and the primary language spoken in Vancouver.


Fall Semester Early September - mid December
Spring Semester Early January - late April
Students may study at Capilano University for two consecutive semesters, starting in the fall or spring.

Capilano University Academic Calendar


Arrange your own housing
Since Capilano does not have on-campus housing, students can explore a variety of off-campus apartment rental options.
Off campus homestay accommodations are available.

Capilano University Housing


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - You are responsible for all living expenses, including health insurance, books/supplies, room & meals, personal expenses, airfare, local transportation, and any costs associated with obtaining a visa (if applicable). Below are estimates for planning purposes only; amounts are listed per semester, and will vary based on your individual needs.    

  • Health Insurance: $400-500
  • Books & Supplies: $250-350
  • Room & Meals: $4,000-5,000
  • Personal Expenses: $1,000-2,000
  • Airfare & Local Transportation: $700-900
  • Visa Expenses: $130-160

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   


Visa Information: Exchange students should apply for a Canadian Study Permit when they receive their official acceptance letter from their Canadian host university. Students apply online, then mail documents to the Canadian Consulate General in Los Angeles.

For more information on Study Permits, see the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

10 Steps to apply for a Study Permit


MIX by Major


Financial Aid & Scholarships


Outbound FAQs


Pre-Departure Information


Returnee Information


Apply Now