Thank you for your interest in Mānoa International Exchange (MIX). The information below is for UH Mānoa students going on exchange to a MIX Partner University.
Click below for more info...
Plan ahead for international exchange!
In your online MIX application, you will be asked to indicate the top five partner universities where you would like to be nominated. Use the links below to explore your options!
Browse by Academic Area - In MIX by Major, check out universities that offer courses in your academic area. Talk to your academic advisor to discuss using transfer courses from abroad to satisfy your major, minor, and other degree requirements.
Browse Summer Programs - Spend a summer abroad at a one of UHM's partner universities.
Get MIX Advising - Email email@example.com with your questions, or come and talk to us! We're happy to help you plan. MIX Advising hours are Tues, Weds, Thurs 1:30-3:30 PM, QLC 206.
When to Apply
Deadline for Summer, Fall, Academic Year exchanges:
February 1 (Application opens in December)
Deadline for Spring exchanges:
September 15 (Application opens in July)
Missed the deadline? Late applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire. Note to Financial Aid Recipients: Financial aid students who submit late applications may face delays in receiving their financial aid awards.
How to Apply
It's an easy 3-step process!
2. Passport Copy - Email to email@example.com (JPG or PDF). Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months after your term abroad. Need to renew your passport? Travel.State.Gov.
3. Statement of Purpose - (NOT required for Summer Programs): INSTRUCTIONS:
- Heading: MIX Statement of Purpose, Your Name, UH ID Number, Term Abroad
- Maximum 1 page (500 words maximum)
- Address the following questions: Which MIX Partner Universities interest you, and why? What courses do you want to take while you are abroad, and how does international exchange fit into your academic plan? Why are you a good candidate for international exchange? What do you hope to gain while abroad, and what do you hope to contribute?
- Email your Statement of Purpose to firstname.lastname@example.org (Word or PDF).
NOTE: Every student applying for MIX must meet personally with a MIX staff member. If you have not yet met with Darrell Kicker or Sara Otis, please come to Drop-In Advising: Tues, Weds, Thurs 1:30-3:30 PM.
Factors considered when making nominations are: GPA, academic area, class level, space available, and the balance between inbound and outbound exchange students at each partner university.
MIX will email you your Nomination & Next Steps within 3 weeks after the application deadline.
Please keep an open mind about your nomination. All MIX Partner Universities are excellent, so you will be in good hands no matter where you go.
MIX Summer Programs: Only students going on "Regular Exchange" programs need to be nominated. Students going on "Independent" programs can complete the Partner University Application without a nomination.
Once you have been nominated to a MIX Partner University, you must complete that university's application process for exchange students.
Each university has a different application process - some have online applications, while others require you to send forms and documents in the mail. Some universities require letters of recommendation, while others do not. Many universities require official transcripts, ID photographs, health forms, etc.
Important: Your Nomination & Next Steps email will contain detailed instructions on how and when to complete the application process for your partner university. Please follow instructions carefully, and submit your application materials on time!
Please read all Pre-Departure Information for outbound MIX students. Your pre-departure responsibilities include:
- Submit MIX Pre-Departure forms
- Register for a MIX Placeholder course in MyUH portal
- Submit any pre-arrival paperwork required by your Partner University
- Attend MIX Pre-Departure Orientation
We hope you have the experience of a lifetime! The world is your classroom.
- Exchange students are required to take a full load of courses while abroad. Please save a syllabus from each course you take!
- Remember that you are responsible for your own international & local travel expenses, plus housing, meals, and personal expenses.
- While abroad, you are an ambassador of the USA, Hawaii, UH Manoa, and yourself! Be smart, and make good decisions.
Please see Information for Returnees for details on the course transfer process, ways to go abroad again after graduation, and ways to get involved with the international side of UHM!
- Attend the MIX Welcome / Welcome Back Party - This party is usually held off campus at the beginning of each semester. The party is to welcome back Returnees from abroad, and to welcome new inbound exchange students to UH!
- Come to International Coffee Hour - Fridays, 3-5PM, Sinclair Library 'Ewa Lanai
- Apply for a MIX Internship, or become a MIX Volunteer! Email email@example.com to get involved.