Thank you for your interest in Mānoa International Exchange (MIX)!
The following information is for international exchange students coming to study at UH Mānoa.
UHM welcomes inbound exchange students from both partner universities and non-partner universities. All exchange students apply as non-degree-seeking students at UH Manoa. There are three types of exchange students at UH Manoa:
Exchange Agreement exchange students
Exchange Agreement exchange students come from universities with which UHM has a formal reciprocal student exchange agreement. These students are registered as full-time students at their home university while on exchange, pay their normal tuition to the home university and do not pay tuition or an application fee at the host university (UH Manoa). They are, however, responsible for travel costs, flight arrangements, housing, meals, and all other living expenses while in Hawai‘i. Exchange Agreement students apply for J-1 visas.
Hoakipa Scholarship exchange students
Hoakipa Scholarship exchange students come from universities with which UH Manoa has a Hoakipa Scholarship agreement or formal partnership. These students pay non-resident UHM tuition and an application fee but receive a 15% tuition scholarship. They are responsible for travel costs, flight arrangements, housing, meals, and all other living expenses while in Hawai‘i. See Cost of Attendance for estimates. (Note: Students from all UH Manoa partner universities are eligible for this scholarship. Students receiving full external scholarship support, however, may not be eligible.) Hoakipa Scholars apply for F-1 visas.
Independent exchange students
Students at universities with which UH Manoa has no agreement/formal partnership are also welcome at MIX. These students pay nonresident UHM tuition and an application fee. They are also responsible for travel costs, flight arrangements, housing, meals, and all other living expenses while in Hawai‘i. See Cost of Attendance for estimates. Independent exchange students apply for F-1 visas.
Applicants must be currently enrolled in a degree program at their home university and have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (out of 4.0) or equivalent.
Applicants' transcripts must show completion of 24 or more credits (English language classes are excluded, as they are not recognized as UH-transferable). Or the student must have completed at least 12 credits and have at least 12 credits in progress.
Minimum TOEFL score of 68 (520) is required. Score of 80+ (550+) is recommended. Test results must be valid -- taken within the past two years.
- In lieu of TOEFL scores, minimum IELTS score of 5.5 is required (6.0+ recommended).
- In lieu of TOEFL scores, minimum TOEFL-ITP score of 520 is required (550+ recommended).
- Note: Students with TOEFL scores less than 100 (600) must take the English Language Institute (ELI) placement test upon arrival to UHM. Based on the result of the placement test, they may be required to register for one or more ELI classes.
- Note: Exchange students who want to take graduate-level UHM courses should note that some departments may require a TOEFL score of 80 or higher.
- See list of TOEFL exemptions
When to Apply:
Application materials should be received at UHM no later than:
- February 1 (for Fall semester exchange beginning in August)
- September 15 (for Spring semester exchange beginning in January)
- Note: Fall HELP students from Kwansei Gakuin: apply by Nov 10.
How to Apply:
Questions? Contact Us
Please read all of the pages below prior to arrival at UHM:
- MIX Handbook for Inbound Students - Required reading for all Inbound Exchange Students.
- Pre-Departure Checklist - Read this before you get on the plane!
- Housing & Meals - Information about on- and off-campus housing
- Registering for UHM Courses - Important information - please read carefully.
- Orientation & Visa Clearance - Required meetings when you arrive.
- Health Clearance & Insurance - Important information - please read carefully.
- ISS Welcome Brochure - For all international students, including exchange students.