Financial Aid & Scholarships
for Outbound MIX Students
Click below to view the Self-Guided Workshop on Financing MIX:
Study Abroad Scholarships
- Boren Awards for International Study - This scholarship is open to students studying abroad in geographic areas that are critical to U.S. national security. This includes all countries in Asia, but does not include Australia, New Zealand and Western Europe. Students must be U.S. citizens to apply; awards are up to $20,000.
- Bridging Scholarship - For undergradute students in any major who will be studying in Japan. Students must be U.S. citizens to apply; awards are $2,500 for a semester or $4,000 for a year.
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship - For U.S. undergraduate students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies abroad. Students must be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant in order to apply. Awards are up to $5,000 for a semester, plus an additional $3,000 for students studying a Critical Needs Language (includes Chinese, Japanese, and Korean).
- JASSO Scholarship - For exchange students going on short-term study in Japan. Students placed at MIX universities in Japan will receive JASSO application forms from the partner university.
- Kamehameha Schools Financial Aid and Scholarship Services - For students of Hawaiian ancestry.
- Rotary International Ambassadorial Scholarships - Must contact the your local Rotary club to check availability of scholarships and local application deadlines.
- UH Diversity and Equity Initiative Award - For students who propose a project addressing issues on race, ethnicitygender, sexual orientation, disability, and culture. Awards are up to $5,000.
- Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship for East Asia & Southeast Asia - for UHM students combining modern foreign language training with area/international studies. (Apply online in STAR, keyword FLAS)
- Whitaker International Undergraduate Program - For undergraduate students studying biomedical sciences or biomedical engineering. Awards range from $7,500 per semester to $10,000 per year.
- Center for Chinese Studies (China, Hong Kong, Taiwan) - Undergraduate Student Funding
- Center for Japanese Studies - Funding for students pursuing Japanese studies at UHM
- Center for Korean Studies - Various scholarships
- School of Pacific and Asian Studies (SPAS) - Various scholarships
- Center for Pacific Island Studies - Various scholarships
- Center for Southeast Asian Studies (Singapore, Thailand) - Various fellowships
- UHM Arts and Sciences Majors - The Arts and Sciences Advisory Council has established awards to help fund special scholarly activities of significant educational value not available through regular coursework.
- Shidler College of Business Scholarships - Relevant business scholarships include the Fish Scholarship and the Freeman Scholarship. See Undergraduate Academic Advisor Rikki Mitsunaga in the Office of Student Academic Services (OSAS, BusAd B-101) for more information about scholarships and other funding opportunities.
- Asian & Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund- Various scholarships
- Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship - For students in science, mathematics, and engineering fields
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) - For students who study abroad in Germany
- U.S. China Exchange Scholarships (CPE) - For U.S. students who study abroad in China
- Blakemore Freeman Fellowships- For graduate students studying language in Japan, China, Korea, Thailand, or Vietnam.
Scholarship Search Engines & Other Scholarship Resources
- IIE Passport Study Abroad Funding - Excellent website with information on a number of scholarships. Search by country or by area of study.
- Diversity Abroad - Various scholarships for study abroad students
- Studyabroad.com - Study abroad scholarships and financial aid page
- InternationalScholarships.com - International scholarships database
- Fastweb - Free scholarship search tool
- GoAbroad.com - Free scholarship search tool
- Scholarships.com - Free scholarship search tool
- STAR - UH Student Scholarships - Log in to find UH scholarships for which you qualify.
- GLBTQI Scholarship Resources:
- ACLS Fellowships - for graduate students studying the humanities and social sciences in Asia
- Gates Millennium Scholarship - For undergraduate students
- American Association of University Women (AAUW) - Support for women